40% received an A in operations; 45% received an A in stats; 20% rec'd an A in both.

Hello all,

I am struggling with a problem
:(, thanks in advance :rolleyes:

40% of all MBAs received an A in operations, and 45% received an A in statistics. 20% of all MBAs received an A in both classes?

What is the probability that a randomly chosen MBA did not get an A in either of these classes?
What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

Imagine that there were 100 MBAs. How many of them got an "A" in "operations"? How Many got an "A" in "Statistics"? How many got an A in both? So how many got at least one A? How many did not?

Hello both,

Many thanks for helping.

If there are 100 MBA students, the distribution is the following:

A (Operations) = 40
A (Statistics) = 45
A (Both) = 20

If we ignore the people that received an A in both, then it is probable that 85 students received at least one A.

However, we know that 20 of those have received an A in both...so I am wondering if we can we conclude that 65 received an A (some of them one A and some of them two As). If that is correct, then the people who received none is 100-65.

Let me know if I am thinking in the right direction.

Regards,
Alex

Hello both,

Many thanks for helping.

If there are 100 MBA students, the distribution is the following:

A (Operations) = 40
A (Statistics) = 45
A (Both) = 20

If we ignore the people that received an A in both, then it is probable that 85 students received at least one A.
Let's not ignore that. Since 40 people got an A in Operations and 20 of them also got an A in Statistics, 40- 20= 20 people got an A in Operations but not in Statistics. Similarly, since 45 people got an A in Statistics and 20 of them also got an A in Operations, 45- 20= 25 people got an A in Statistics but not in Operations.

A total of 20+ 25+ 20= 65 people got an A one or the other or both leaving 100- 65= 35 people who did not.

Another way to calculate how many people got at least one A is 40+ 45- 20= 85- 20= 65. There, after adding the number of people who got an A in Operations and the number of people who got an A in Statistics, we subtract the number of people who got As in both because they have been counted twice.

However, we know that 20 of those have received an A in both...so I am wondering if we can we conclude that 65 received an A (some of them one A and some of them two As). If that is correct, then the people who received none is 100-65.

Let me know if I am thinking in the right direction.

Regards,
Alex
Yes, that argument is correct. Don't for get that the problem as for a probability not a number of people.

Last edited: