7th grade math: Paul makes his own salmon flies. It takes twice as long to make...

sassydaddy

I understand the question just dont know how to do it.

Paul makes his own salmon flies. It takes twice as long to make a “Marabou Comet” as it does to make a “Glo Bug Egg”. Paul made 5 “Marabou Comets” and 5 “Glo Bug Eggs” in 1 hour. How many minutes does it take Paul to make a “Marabou Comet”?

Thanks

Paul makes his own salmon flies. It takes twice as long to make a “Marabou Comet” as it does to make a “Glo Bug Egg”. Paul made 5 “Marabou Comets” and 5 “Glo Bug Eggs” in 1 hour. How many minutes does it take Paul to make a “Marabou Comet”?
You posted on the Arithmetic board, not the Beginning Algebra Board.

If I were tutoring a student in arithmetic class, I would suggest trial-and-error. In other words, make a guess and see what happens. If the guess leads to a situation that takes more than an hour, reduce the guess and try again. If it ends up less than an hour, increase the guess and try again. Alternatively, we could find a pattern, and make a chart.

If I were tutoring a student in beginning algebra, I would suggest letting symbol t represent how many minutes it takes to make a Glo Bug Egg, followed by writing an equation to solve for t. The answer would be 2*t.

What kind of class are you taking? :cool:

Last edited:
m,m,m,m,m : 40min
g,g,g,g,g : 20 min
I see. You reasoned that "twice as long" over the course of an hour equates to 2/3rds of the time spent on "m" and 1/3rd of the time spent on "g".

How easy. My pattern/chart method is eating your dust! :cool:

I see. You reasoned that "twice as long" over the course of an hour equates to 2/3rds of the time spent on "m" and 1/3rd of the time spent on "g".

How easy. My pattern/chart method is eating your dust! :cool:

that was what i was looking for thanks, wanted someone to explain how you found out the answer

thanks for both of your guys help, sorry for late reply and posting this in the Arithmetic board

Last edited:
thanks for both of your [guys'] help and sorry for ... posting this in the Arithmetic board
You're most welcome. No need to apologize for posting on this board; this is where your thread belongs, if you're not in a beginning algebra class. :cool:

PS: We were moving from pre-algebra to beginning algebra, when I was in the 7th grade.

My first thought was that, since a Maribou comet takes twice as long to tie as a Glo Bug Egg, 5 Maribou comets is equivalent to 10 Glo Bug Eggs, so the question is equivalent to "If it takes an hour to tie 15 Glo Bug Eggs, how long does it take to tie on Glo Bug Egg?" The answer to that, of course, is 60/15= 4 minutes. And a Maribou comet, then, takes 8 minutes to tie.

Solution by using variables

Here is another way by which you can solve all types of problems.

Let's assume that the number of minutes for Glo Bug Egg is: 1x

And for Marabou Comet: 2x

Now we have total 60 minutes

Where 5 Glo Bug and 5 Marabou comet are there and total time is 1 hour:

Now, (1x * 5) + (2x * 5) = 60

Now 5x + 10x = 60

or alternatively 15x = 60
and x = 4

Now for 5 Marabous we have 5*2x = 5*2*4 = 40 minutes

and for Glo 5*1x = 5*4 = 20 minutes

Cheers
:p