Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: v-Bulletin issues of late

Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    do we know how many "members" exist
    that have never made a "posting"?
    Lots (see Ted's reply).

Many people register, and never log in again.

I think they are phishing for an answer, and their search engine brings them to a thread that contains one or more images. They must register to view images. Then, they leave the same day and never come back.
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    The XSS warning is not a hack but rather the latest version of Chrome being overly aggressive and picking up on some normal (but poorly programmed) behavior in the forum software. Allegedly it has been fixed in the absolute latest version of Chrome 58.
    This is good to know (not that v-bulletin is somewhat poorly programmed; I already knew that), but that I may expect Google to stop preventing me from viewing some pages.

I just checked, and Chrome says I'm using version 58.0.3029.96

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I do periodically purge users who have 0 posts and haven't logged on in a couple years.
    Glad to hear it. That will purge hundreds of users from years past who have spamming URLs and other objectionable material in their profiles. (I've been slowly going back in time, to manually report and ban them, but that's been a low priority for me.)

Removal may be better than banning because the system doesn't delete banned members profiles. How about clearing out the area which stores all of the banned members, too.

The system occasionally shows some banned members as logged in from time to time (if that's what the green "online" status symbol means), even though they were banned one or two years ago!

If there's a way to turn off the ability to place a homepage URL on your profile page, even better!!

When I manually report and ban these users, spammers don't create nearly as many accounts here (roughly 2-3 per day). On two occasions during the past few years that I was not able to use the site for several months, I discovered upon my return that the number of spammers creating solicitations on their profile pages had greatly increased (roughly 12-18 per day). Anything that we can do to discourage them will help.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm4444bot View Post
    If there's a way to turn off the ability to place a homepage URL on your profile page, even better!!
    Another thought about this, Ted.

If the homepage field cannot be blocked, perhaps there's a way to enable moderators to edit or delete the URL -- something like a super-moderator or higher level of moderation privileges.

The percentage of members posting legit homepages is exceedingly small.

Elite Member
    Just a thought:
    have a new member answer a question
    as part of the joining process
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

Other than Chrome continuing to occasionally prevent me from previewing, I have not experienced any issues with vBulletin for over two weeks, now.

All that other stuff seems to have been resolved (one way or another).

< knocking on wood >

Quote Originally Posted by mmm4444bot View Post
    I have edited my OP, Denis. I hope it is clear for you, now. Please let me know, if you experience any more confusion.
    No No No, Please do not ask Denis to say what confuses him. Please don't do that. He will be writing for hours.
    A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn’t there. - Charles R. Darwin

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomo View Post
    No No No, Please do not ask Denis to say what confuses him. Please don't do that. He will be writing for hours.
    I second that....
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomo View Post
    I will be replying in a few hours...
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !