competition practice Qs: length of strip forming octagon; time to paint room;...

Rachelyoonji

Hello, I've been getting ready for the Australian Mathematics competition and I have a few questions on 6 questions I could not solve. I can';t insert photos for some reason but I've attached them below. They are of intermediate level (I'm in Year 9)

If anyone could help me out I would be extremely grateful!!

Attachments

• IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 8
Hello, I've been getting ready for the Australian Mathematics competition and I have a few questions on 6 questions I could not solve. I can';t insert photos for some reason but I've attached them below. They are of intermediate level (I'm in Year 9)

If anyone could help me out I would be extremely grateful!!
18) What is the definition of regular polygon?

28) Let x = rectangle width

Let y = rectangle height

The area is xy.

Can you write an equation modeling the fact that xy is tripled, when x and y increase by the given amounts?

I solved mine for y as a function of x, and analyzing that Rational Function showed that three such rectangles exist.

PS: In the future, please start separate threads for separate exercises. (Also, read the forum guidelines.) :cool:

18) What is the definition of regular polygon?

a [FONT=arial, sans-serif]regular polygon is a polygon that is equiangular (all angles are equal in measure) and equilateral... [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]but I don't see how this leads into anything. [/FONT]

I was pondering (30), at the bar last night. Seems like the maximum area will happen when AP and BQ are as short as possible. I'm not 100% sure of this, but a bit o' napkin math looked promising. :cool:

a regular polygon is a polygon that is equiangular (all angles are equal in measure) and equilateral...

but I don't see how this leads into anything.
Then each side of the octagon = √2 in

For other readers: The sideways questions appear to read as follows:

27. How many positive integers n less than 2015 have the property that \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\, +\, \frac{1}{n}\) can be simplified to a fraction with a denominator less than n?

28. A rectangle has all sides of integer length. When 3 units are added to the height and 2 units to the width, the area of the rectangle is tripled. What is the sum of the areas of all such rectangles?

29. At Berracan station, northbound trains arrive every three minutes starting at noon and finishing at midnight, while southbound trains arrive every five minutes starting at noon and finishing at midnight. Each day, I walk to Berracan station at a random time in the afternoon and wait for the first train in either direction. On average, how many seconds should I expect to wait?

30. In a 14-by-18 rectangle ABCD, points P, Q, R, and S are chosen, on each side of ABCD as pictured.

quad.jpg

The lengths AP, PB, BQ, QC, RD, DS, and SA are all positive integers and PQRS is a rectangle. What is the largest possible area that PQRS can have?

I have a few questions on 6 questions I could not solve.

27. How many positive integers n less than 2015 have the property that \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\, +\, \frac{1}{n}\) can be simplified to a fraction with a denominator less than n?
What have you tried? For instance, you started with the given sum, and simplified:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{3}\, +\, \dfrac{1}{n}\, =\, \dfrac{n\, +\, 3}{3n}\)

For this to simplify to something with a denominator smaller than n, then we'll need to cancel something. For something to factor from n + 3, we must have a value of n which is a multiple of 3. Then n = 3k for some integer k. This gives us:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{3k\, +\, 3}{(3k)(3)}\, =\, \dfrac{k\, +\, 1}{3k}\)

What can you say about k and k + 1? What does this tell you about k + 1? And so forth.

28. A rectangle has all sides of integer length. When 3 units are added to the height and 2 units to the width, the area of the rectangle is tripled. What is the sum of the areas of all such rectangles?
What have you tried? For instance, you started with the basic geometry and algebra, which gave you the following:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle (h\, +\, 3)(w\, +\, 2)\, =\, 3hw\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle hw\, +\, 3w\, +\, 2h\, +\, 6\, =\, 3hw\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle 3w\, +\, 2h\, +\, 6\,=\, 2hw\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle 6\, =\, 2hw\, -\, 3w\, -\, 2h\)

To make thiss factorable, we rearrange and add:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle 6\, +\, 3\, =\, 2hw\, -\, 2h\, -\, 3w\, +\, 3\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle 9\, =\, 2h(w\, -\, 1)\, -\, 3(w\, -\, 1)\)

And so forth. Using the fact that the sides have integer lengths, where does this lead?

29. At Berracan station, northbound trains arrive every three minutes starting at noon and finishing at midnight, while southbound trains arrive every five minutes starting at noon and finishing at midnight. Each day, I walk to Berracan station at a random time in the afternoon and wait for the first train in either direction. On average, how many seconds should I expect to wait?
Stand in the station and start monitoring arrival times. What happens every fifteen minutes?

30. In a 14-by-18 rectangle ABCD, points P, Q, R, and S are chosen, on each side of ABCD as pictured.

View attachment 8169

The lengths AP, PB, BQ, QC, RD, DS, and SA are all positive integers and PQRS is a rectangle. What is the largest possible area that PQRS can have?
Have you tried anything with right triangles? ;)