Correct format for Imaginary Numbers a+bi or a+bj

godfreyjh

Dear Friends

I am seeking some clarity here, our lecturer is insisting on using the format a+bj we have always been taught to use a+bi and to add to our disquiet insists at a+bj is the correct format and is threatening to mark us down if we do not use a+bj format.

I have always been taught that imaginary numbers should be written as a+bi.

I am not afraid to go head to head with the lecturer if needs be but I need some advice before I make the point.

Your input is much appreciate in this matter.

Regards

Godfrey

Dear Friends

I am seeking some clarity here, our lecturer is insisting on using the format a+bj we have always been taught to use a+bi and to add to our disquiet insists at a+bj is the correct format and is threatening to mark us down if we do not use a+bj format.

I am not afraid to go head to head with the lecturer if needs be but I need some advice before I make the point.

Regards

Godfrey
i or j are both acceptable for equivalence to √(-1), in general.

In electrical (electronics) technology - [FONT=&quot]j [/FONT]is [FONT=&quot][/FONT]used - because there [FONT=&quot]i[/FONT] is frequently used for "current".

… our lecturer is insisting on using the format a+bj … and is threatening to mark us down if we do not use a+bj format … I have always been taught that imaginary numbers should be written as a+bi.
I cannot remember seeing any symbol other than i used to represent the imaginary unit.

It seems like your lecturer has defined:

j = sqrt(-1)

If they insist on this symbol choice, you ought to consider temporarily adapting (that is, "pick your battles", for this course).

Is symbol i being used for something else?

I cannot remember seeing any symbol other than i used to represent the imaginary unit.

It seems like your lecturer has defined:

j = sqrt(-1)

If they insist on this symbol choice, you ought to consider temporarily adapting (that is, "pick your battles", for this course).

No, this is just ordinary engineering math nothing special.

Its just that the lecturer insists on using j instead of i.

Thanks Guys for your prompt feed back.

Thanks guys for all your feed back and time spent with your guidance, it is much appreciated.

I have learned yet again from the group and am grateful for all your input.

Regards

Godfrey

I'm late to this party, but I can confirm that engineering books tend to use "j" for the imaginary, noting that they're already using "i" to stand for "current".

Also, this is good training for "the real world", where you'll quickly learn that sometimes "the right answer" is "what the boss wants to hear", no matter how "wrong" it may seem to you! ;)

I'm late to this party, but I can confirm that engineering books tend to use "j" for the imaginary, noting that they're already using "i" to stand for "current".

Also, this is good training for "the real world", where you'll quickly learn that sometimes "the right answer" is "what the boss wants to hear", no matter how "wrong" it may seem to you! ;)

Greetings

Thank you for taking the trouble to write back. I think your advice is very wise. "what the boss wants to hear", no matter how "wrong" it may seem to you! Settles the issue for us.

Regards

Godfrey

Greetings

Thank you for taking the trouble to write back. I think your advice is very wise. "what the boss wants to hear", no matter how "wrong" it may seem to you! Settles the issue for us.

Regards

Godfrey
If you are an engineering student, your instructor is CORRECT in insisting use of j for imaginary number.

Dear Friends

Regards

Godfrey
If your instructor defined j= sqrt(-1) then yes, a+bj is fine. Never ever argue with how a variable is defined (unless the definition is unclear)

Never ever argue with how a variable is defined (unless the definition is unclear)
Minor quibble: The imaginary (being the square root of minus one) is a fixed number (like the natural exponential, e), so the letter standing for it is not a variable. ;)

Minor quibble: The imaginary (being the square root of minus one) is a fixed number (like the natural exponential, e), so the letter standing for it is not a variable. ;)
Fine, but j IS a variable and the instructor defined that to sqrt(-1)