Arithmetic Scenario Based Maths Problem

edjordan

Hi!

I am trying to solve the below maths problem and I have been given the answer as 10, but cannot come to the same answer myself. My thinking was to multiply the total number of students 28*15 = 420 and divide that by 50 to provide me with the total number of lessons needed (8.4). Is the accompanying answer sheet incorrect or is there something I am missing myself? any help would be much appreciated thank you!

A teacher wishes to meet with each pupil in her tutor group to discuss their progress. She plans to carry out these meetings during her 50 minute planning lesson scheduled daily on her timetable. If she has 28 students and hopes to spend 15 minutes with each one how many lessons must she set aside for these meetings?

Hi!

I am trying to solve the below maths problem and I have been given the answer as 10, but cannot come to the same answer myself. My thinking was to multiply the total number of students 28*15 = 420 and divide that by 50 to provide me with the total number of lessons needed (8.4). Is the accompanying answer sheet incorrect or is there something I am missing myself? any help would be much appreciated thank you!

A teacher wishes to meet with each pupil in her tutor group to discuss their progress. She plans to carry out these meetings during her 50 minute planning lesson scheduled daily on her timetable. If she has 28 students and hopes to spend 15 minutes with each one how many
lessons must she set aside for these meetings?
Are you sure you have posted the problem correctly?

Are you sure you have posted the problem correctly?

Hi Subhotosh,

thank you for your reply, yes I've copied the problem word for word, should I assume that the problem is worded wrongly? its from a website called numeracy ready that provides examples in preparation for the professional skills test.

thanks again!

Hi!

A teacher wishes to meet with each pupil in her tutor group to discuss their progress. She plans to carry out these meetings during her 50 minute planning lesson scheduled daily on her timetable. If she has 28 students and hopes to spend 15 minutes with each one how many lessons must she set aside for these meetings?
Knowing the answer - I interpret the problem following way:

In each 50 minute session she can see 3 students - requiring 45 minutes.

Thus 9 sessions will be required to meet 27 students.

The 28th student will require the 10th session.

… her 50 minute planning lesson scheduled daily … how many lessons must she set aside?
Not good English

They meant: "… her 50-minute lesson-planning time (scheduled daily) …".

Regardless, we still need to make an assumption because the exercise does not state how many lessons she works on, during any given day's lesson-planning time.

I agree with Subhotosh. We assume that she plans only one lesson per day.

Do you understand why your method was a bit off? Your method assumes that the 15-minute meetings all run one after the other, with no gaps between. Subhotosh demonstrated that five minutes of available meeting time is lost, each day. That is, only 45 minutes is available for these meetings, daily. :cool:

Not good English

They meant: "… her 50-minute lesson-planning time (scheduled daily) …".

Regardless, we still need to make an assumption because the exercise does not state how many lessons she works on, during any given day's lesson-planning time.

I agree with Subhotosh. We assume that she plans only one lesson per day.

Do you understand why your method was a bit off? Your method assumes that the 15-minute meetings all run one after the other, with no gaps between. Subhotosh demonstrated that five minutes of available meeting time is lost, each day. That is, only 45 minutes is available for these meetings, daily. :cool:

thank you both! yes I can see where I went wrong now, thanks again!