Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to solve: If f(x) is even fcn, find range of b. f(x)=[3.5+bsinx] where [] is gif

How to solve: If f(x) is even fcn, find range of b. f(x)=[3.5+bsinx] where [] is gif

If f(x) is an even function, then find range of b.
    f(x)=[3.5+bsinx] where [] is gif.

I couldn't try anything as I have no idea how to proceed.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abhishekdas View Post

please explain that part of the statement.
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell

Cool

How does "b" relate to any of the rest of what you've posted? Have you posted one exercise, or two? When you say you "have no idea how to proceed", do you mean that you don't know what "even" and "odd" functions are? Or you're not familiar with trig functions? Or you're not familiar with functions and function notation?

Please reply with specifics, in addition to answering the question in the previous response. Thank you!

Before you or anyone can even start a problem like this you must know what [] and an even function means. Do you know these definitions? Do you know the steps to show if a function is even or not? You can't play the game if you don't know the rules!
    A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn’t there. - Charles R. Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Jomo View Post
    Before you or anyone can even start a problem like this you must know what [] and an even function means. Do you know these definitions? Do you know the steps to show if a function is even or not? You can't play the game if you don't know the rules!
    OK! I know what even or odd function means.
    If a function is even, then f(x)=f(-x). I did try to do the same thing with this question also, but got nothing out of it.

[What Does This Mean?]

Quote Originally Posted by Jomo View Post
    Ok! So [] means greatest floor function or greatest integer function.

Quote Originally Posted by stapel View Post
    How does "b" relate to any of the rest of what you've posted? Have you posted one exercise, or two? When you say you "have no idea how to proceed", do you mean that you don't know what "even" and "odd" functions are? Or you're not familiar with trig functions? Or you're not familiar with functions and function notation?

Please reply with specifics, in addition to answering the question in the previous response. Thank you!
    I know quite a bit about trig and functions. I did try to do f(x)=f(-x), but it didn't work out.

Elite Member
    I know quite a bit about trig and functions. I did try to do f(x)=f(-x), but it didn't work out.
    Is

f(x) = 3.5 + b * sin(x)

an even function? Why yes or no?
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell

NO

Quote Originally Posted by Subhotosh Khan View Post
    Is

f(x) = 3.5 + b * sin(x)

an even function? Why yes or no?
    becoz [3.5+bsinx] is not equal to f(x) = 3.5 + b * sin(x)

Elite Member
    becoz [3.5+bsinx] is not equal to f(x) = 3.5 + b * sin(x)
    Then do you not see that the only way f(x) can become an even function is when b = 0