I was climbing a vertical cliff face. I started 12 metres above the ground, and...

Rxm

I was climbing a vertical cliff face.
I started 12 metres above the ground and climbed up 23 metres, then down 31 metres and finally up again 17 metres.
How high was I then above the ground?

I was climbing a vertical cliff face.

I started 12 metres above the ground and climbed up 23 metres, then down 31 metres and finally up again 17 metres.

How high was I then above the ground?
When you climb up, your altitude gets bigger because you are adding to your altitude.

When you climb down, your altitude gets smaller because you are subtracting from your altitude.

Therefore, starting with your initial altitude (12), add the distances you went up and subtract the distance you went down.

If you would like us to check your answer, please also show your work. :cool:

Last edited:
This what I have got

When you climb up, your altitude gets bigger because you are adding to your altitude.

When you climb down, your altitude gets smaller because you are subtracting from your altitude.

Therefore, starting with your initial altitude (12), add the distances you went up and subtract the distance you went down.

If you would like us to check your answer, please also show your work. :cool:

when I went up 23m, the altitude became 35 ( 12+23)
when I came down 31m, it is 35-31= 4m
then 17m up, so the final altitude = 17+4= 21m.
is this correct?

when I went up 23m, the altitude became 35 ( 12+23)
when I came down 31m, it is 35-31= 4m
then 17m up, so the final altitude = 17+4= 21m.
is this correct?
Correct

Thank you...but answer key different

Why are you not sure?

Thank you for your reply. But the answer key says it is 33. We couldn't work out how it is 33, that is why I was not sure of my answer.