Find product of arimethic sequence in term of x.

lai001

My question means that:there is an arithmetic sequence that start from 2x-3 ,and followed by 2x-5,2x-7 and so on, so the diffrence between two terms is -2, and finally what is the product of the terms when reaching the( x-1)th term, in term of x. Please help me to this using the most elementary way as possible.A classmate of mine asked me this question but I searched on the web about this but found less resources or cannot understand. Thanks.

Last edited:
My question means that:there is an arithmetic sequence that start from 2x-3 ,and followed by 2x-5,2x-7 and so on, so the diffrence between two terms is -2, and finally what is the product of the terms when reaching the x-1 term, in term of x. Please help me to this using the most elementary way as possible.A classmate of mine asked me this question but I searched on the web about this but found less resources or cannot understand. Thanks.
Edited: The Gamma Function is not required. I had misunderstood the exercise.

Thanks to Denis, I now understand that the first x-1 terms of the sequence (for any Integer value of x greater than 1) is simply a list of the first x-1 odd numbers, in reverse order.

One expression for the product of the first n odd numbers is:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{(2n - 1)!}{2^{n-1} \cdot (n-1)!}\)

In your exercise, n = x - 1, so, make that substitution, and you're done.

(In post #9, Denis shows a simpler form, using a double-factorial.)

And, for future reference, an expression for the product of the first n positive, even numbers is:

\(\displaystyle 2^{n} \cdot n!\)

:cool:

Last edited:
Did you intend to write "the n-1 term" (above, in red)? That is, you have the first n terms of the sequence, and you would like their product, excluding the nth term.

If this is correct and (2x-3)/(-2) is not a negative Integer or zero, then I think you could express the product using the Gamma Function.

Just that x in the 2x-3 .... and so on
I believe the entire expression can be expressed in term of x as all the variables are in term of x and integers (the first term, number of terms and difference between the term)
If this can expressed in gamma function, please show my how. Thanks.

Did you intend to write "the n-1 term" (above, in red)? That is, you have the first n terms of the sequence, and you would like their product, excluding the nth term.If this is correct and (2x-3)/(-2) is not a negative Integer or zero, then I think you could express the product using the Gamma Function.
it is just the same x as the first term above

… all the variables are in [terms] of x and integers
All the variables? I only see one variable (x).

Anyway, you ought to have stated in your original post that x is always an Integer!!

By using any [Integer] for x
I'm sure you meant "any Integer > 1" for x.

1 is actually the last term...but that's of no importance...
I see now, thanks. I had confused myself, thinking symbol x was being used both as a variable and parameter. :oops:

Also, given x, the number of terms is easily determined;
formula: (2x-3 + 1) / 2
Using x = 5 again:
(2*5-3 + 1) / 2 = 4
Or: Number of Terms = x - 1

Turns out that the answer is simply (2x - 3)!!;
!! being the rarely used "double factorial".
Not sure I've seen !! before.

See my edited post #2, for another form. :cool:

Edited: The Gamma Function is not required. I had misunderstood the exercise.Thanks to Denis, I now understand that the first x-1 terms of the sequence (for any Integer value of x greater than 1) is simply a list of the first x-1 odd numbers, in reverse order.One expression for the product of the first n odd numbers is:\(\displaystyle \dfrac{(2n - 1)!}{2^{n-1} \cdot (n-1)!}\)In your exercise, n = x - 1, so, make that substitution, and you're done.(In post #9, Denis shows a simpler form, using a double-factorial.)And, for future reference, an expression for the product of the first n positive, even numbers is:\(\displaystyle 2^{n} \cdot n!\):cool:
Thanks!I think this is a useful formula to calculate product of all odd numbers before a number.