Average driving time: A car is driving to a destination that is 350km's away...

maxpain2017

Hello everyone and thank you for inviting me to the forums!

Currently stumped on a word problem question. In all honesty, this doesn't seem like a hard question on paper, but I'm having trouble understanding where to start.

A car is driving to a destination that is 350km's away. The car travelling is averaging 120km/hr. During the drive, the driver takes two 15 minute breaks to rest. What is the total time in hours for the car to reach its destination?

Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated !!

Hello everyone and thank you for inviting me to the forums!

Currently stumped on a word problem question. In all honesty, this doesn't seem like a hard question on paper, but I'm having trouble understanding where to start.

A car is driving to a destination that is 350km's away. The car travelling is averaging 120km/hr. During the drive, the driver takes two 15 minute breaks to rest. What is the total time in hours for the car to reach its destination?

Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated !!
I am going to assume that when they say - "The car travelling is averaging 120km/hr" - they did not include the breaktime in that average

Suppose the driver did not take any breaks - how long would it take to travel the distance of 360 km with an average speed of 120 km/hr?

I am going to assume that when they say - "The car travelling is averaging 120km/hr" - they did not include the breaktime in that average

Suppose the driver did not take any breaks - how long would it take to travel the distance of 360 km with an average speed of 120 km/hr?

Hi Subhotosh Khan, thank you for the reply.

In that case I would divide distance and speed and the total time would take 3 hours without the breaks? or 2.91 hours if the destination would be 350 km away?

I think where I am getting confused is how to convert the total time travelled into hours when fitting in the breaks. Like how would I add the two 15 minute breaks into 2.91 hours of travel time.

Hope you know what I kind of mean!

or 2.91 hours if the destination would be 350 km away?
Yes, but 2.91 is not properly rounded.

I think where I am getting confused is how to convert the total time travelled into hours when fitting in the breaks. Like how would I add the two 15 minute breaks into 2.91 hours of travel time.
30 minutes is half an hour.

If we write the mixed number 2.91666… exactly (i.e., Rational form), we get 2 and 11/12 hours. Each twelfth of an hour is ? minutes, so how many minutes is 11 twelfths of an hour?

Driving time = 2 hours ?? minutes

Now add the break time.