Calculating length of range and degrree of tilt

bench

Hello,

I am attempting to calculate the length of piston on a linear actuator required to take a flat television stand and have a linear actuator push the plate up to a maximum of 90 degrees of tilt.

Basically the desk will be sitting flat at 0 degrees and when engaged the linear actuator will extend the rod which is attached to the base of the desk top. I want to calculate how long the rod needs to be in order for the range of motion to be completed.

The desk top will be 27" x 48" and the metal bracket which will be attached to the underside of the desk and which the actuator arm will be applying the tilting to is 400mm x 400mm.

I expect the length of shaft required will be dictated by how far away from the pivot point we mount the stationary / motor end of the actuator but I was wondering id there is a calculation I might apply to avoid buying the completely wrong actuator length as the limits are preset and once delivered non returnable.

Thank you for taking the time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Off the top...it looks like you need the Pythagorean Theorem. Let's see what you get.

I am attempting to calculate the length of piston on a linear actuator required to take a flat television stand and have a linear actuator push the plate up to a maximum of 90 degrees of tilt.
Note: Any assistance here will come after we've seen what you have tried. It will also be "mathematically ideal", which means it may very well not be useful "in real life". If this is an actual physical thing that you're actually building, you might want to consider hiring a qualified local engineer. ;)