How do I solve -(1/9) (x - 27) + (1/3) (x + 3) = x - 17

EvertFreeman11

How do I solve the following?

2. Solve the equation, and check your solution.

. . . . .\(\displaystyle -\dfrac{1}{9}\, (x\, -\, 27)\, +\, \dfrac{1}{3}\, (x\, +\, 3)\, =\, x\, -\, 17\)

Thank you!

Attachments

• Equation.JPG
    Equation.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
2. Solve the equation, and check your solution.

. . . . .\(\displaystyle -\dfrac{1}{9}\, (x\, -\, 27)\, +\, \dfrac{1}{3}\, (x\, +\, 3)\, =\, x\, -\, 17\)
First eliminate parentheses by distribution of (-1/9) and (1/3). Then collect the terms with 'x' on side of the equation and the numbers on the other side - and solve.

Last edited by a moderator:
First eliminate parentheses by distribution of (-1/9) and (1/3). Then collect the terms with 'x' on side of the equation and the numbers on the other side - and solve.
Can you actually show me with the numbers and the answer with an explanation because I'm still confused

You need to show us YOUR work. Try something. You can't break it.

Some folks hate fractions. Such should first multiply by 3 or 9.

There are MANY ways to proceed. You pick one and show us how it works. Get those variables ALONE! Whatever it takes.

Can you explain this more thoroughly?
Let's start with the Distributive Property.

Have you learned yet what it means?

If not, look it up in your textbook or google it. Study some worked examples.

Next, try using the Distributive Property on this part:

(-1/9)(x - 27)

Show us what you get. :cool:

Can you actually show me with the numbers and the answer with an explanation because I'm still confused
You already have loads of worked examples in your textbook, your class notes, and the various websites you've visited while researching this topic. Now it's time to try stuff! So:

What is the least common multiple (or lowest common denominator) of the denominators of the two fractions? (here)

What do you get when you multiply through, on both sides, by this number? (here)

What do you get when you then combine the "like" terms on the left-hand side? (here)

What is your next step in solving the linear equation? (here)

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)