finding the value of these given inputs?

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33
Opps sorry! I believe there's no way to solve it since the function is not given, but I think that's wrong cause there's a graph. However, I have no idea how to find the function with this graph (if that's the purpose of what the graph is for)!

finding the value of these given inputs
You don't need to find the value of those inputs. They are given to you.

I believe there's no way to solve it since the function is not given …
Actually, the function is given.

A function may be given by a formula, by a graph, by a table of values, or by describing it in words.

… I have no idea how to find the function with this graph …
You're not asked to find the function.

You're asked:

When x is -4, what is y?

When x is 1, what is y?

When x is 3, what is y?

When x is 5, what is y?

These answers can be read from the graph.

The symbol f(x) is function notation; it's just another way to write y. In other words, the symbol f(x) represents the function's output variable.

When the input variable x is assigned a constant value, like x=-4, then the symbol f(-4) represents a constant. It's the value of y, when x is -4.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about in this post, then you may need to consider dropping calculus and retaking pre-calculus (or maybe even intermediate algebra), in order to relearn the material that you've forgotten. My suggestion: speak with your instructor, and ask for advice. Cheers :cool: