Thread: LaTex Fail (Auto-Linking Issue)

LaTex Fail (Auto-Linking Issue)

By way of reminder, the activation of auto-linking in this forum has created an issue causing failure of LaTex code to render.

Here's a recent example:

[tex]m + 1 = s(m), \text{ where } s(m) \text{ is the successor function.}[/tex]

This LaTex code fails because v-Bulletin replaces the character string "function" with an auto-linked URL, and it does this before the line is sent to MathJax for LaTex rendering.

One workaround is to choose different wording (eg: pick a synonym that is not an auto-linked word).

A different workaround is to include the problematic word somewhere else in the post before the LaTex code. The auto-linking feature is disabled for a character string, after the first auto-linked instance in each post.

Yet another workaround is to split the troublesome word into two pieces: \text{func}\text{tion}

In addition to auto-linked words, LaTex will fail if a LaTex code-word itself comprises an auto-linked word. For example, the LaTex code for the angle symbol [tex]\angle[/tex] will fail because "angle" is an auto-linked word. Again, it did not fail there because the prior instance of the word angle (shown as the auto-linked URL) disabled the auto-link feature for "angle", allowing the LaTex code to render.

These issues are mentioned as items #16 and #17, in this thread.

Cheers
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mmm4444bot View Post
    [tex]m + 1 = s(m), \text{ where } s(m) \text{ is the successor function.}[/tex]
    This is so annoying! Especially when everything looks fine in "Preview", and you maybe don't notice (because you'd done -- or thought you'd done -- all the error-checking) that your careful work gets hosed when you "Submit". Oi!

To be fair, though, I understand why the webmaster has done this auto-linking to other parts of his website....

Quote Originally Posted by stapel View Post
    This is so annoying! Especially when everything looks fine in "Preview", and you maybe don't notice (because you'd done -- or thought you'd done -- all the error-checking) that your careful work gets hosed when you "Submit". Oi!

To be fair, though, I understand why the webmaster has done this auto-linking to other parts of his website....
    Quite frankly, I had run across this oddity long ago, but had forgotten all about it when I posted the example above.

So I am thankful for the reminder because I was scratching my head.

Agree, it's a nuisance, now and again. It's been awhile, since posting about these things, so here's another heads-up, for when you can't think what else to try with a mysterious LaTex issue (like something embedded and hidden, perhaps by the amazing WYSI[NOTALWAYS]WYG interface).

I cut the entire piece of LaTex code (along with the lines before and after, if necessary), and then I paste it back as "Plain Text". (In Windows, the keyboard shortcut for pasting as plain text is CTRL-SHIFT-V.)

For me, this sort of thing occurs more when I edit a lot (i.e., text formatting, colors, copying or moving stuff around).
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969