Requirements for transformation functions in probability theory

give_up

I have two questions about transformation functions in probability theory. I wrote my answers to them but I'm not sure if I am right.

Let's look at the theorem below (I took it from here (the last)).

Theorem. Let \(\displaystyle X\) be an absolutely continuous random variable with probability density function \(\displaystyle f_X(x)\) and support \(\displaystyle R_X = \{x \in \mathbb{R}: f(x) > 0 \}\). Let \(\displaystyle g: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}\) be one-to-one and differentiable on the support of \(\displaystyle X\). If

\(\displaystyle \frac{dg^{-1}(y)}{dy} \ne 0, \qquad \forall y \in g(R_X)\)

then the probability density of \(\displaystyle Y\) is

\(\displaystyle f_Y(y) = f_X(g^{-1}(y)) \left|{\frac{dg^{-1}(y)}{dy}}\right|, \qquad \forall y \in g(R_X).\)

Questions.

1) Can I choose any open subset \(\displaystyle A, ~R_X \subseteq A \subseteq \mathbb{R}\) which contains support \(\displaystyle R_X\) as the domain of \(\displaystyle g\) in the thorem?

As I understood \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) is a "natural domain" (i.e. the largest possible domain) for \(\displaystyle g\) but we can always limit it for a specific function \(\displaystyle g\) on practice. I think set \(\displaystyle A\) must be open to ensure the existence of the derivative of \(\displaystyle g\) in all points of \(\displaystyle R_X\) (set \(\displaystyle R_X\) can be closed).

For example it will be convenient to choose \(\displaystyle A = (0,\infty)\) as the domain for a function \(\displaystyle g:A \to \mathbb{R},~ g(x) = \ln(x)\) if \(\displaystyle X\) can have only positive values.
Or I have to choose \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) as the domain and somehow define function \(\displaystyle g\) on \(\displaystyle (-\infty,0]\) ?

2) Why the theorem requires function \(\displaystyle g\) to be one-to-one instead of to be invertible?

I think that the domain of a function \(\displaystyle g^{-1}\) is exactly the set \(\displaystyle R_Y = g(R_X)\). Hence if \(\displaystyle g\) is one-to-one then \(\displaystyle g\) will be invertible function. Even if \(\displaystyle g\) is formally not an onto function (not all points in \(\displaystyle \operatorname{codomain} g = \mathbb{R}\) have pre-images).

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.