Thread: Alloy A copper:zinc = 5:2, Alloy B zinc:tin = 3:2; 2 parts A, 1 part B form new alloy

Alloy A copper:zinc = 5:2, Alloy B zinc:tin = 3:2; 2 parts A, 1 part B form new alloy

Urgently need solution of this question as soon as possible:

An alloy contains copper and zinc in the ratio 5:2 and another contains zinc and tin in the ratio 3:2. if two parts of 1st alloy and one part of 2nd alloy are melted together to form a new alloy of copper, zinc and tin, the ratio of the metals will be?
    Last edited by stapel; 08-23-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Creating useful subject line.

What have you tried or thought about, so far?

Please also read the forum guidelines. Thank you.
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by syedz.aneeq View Post
    An alloy contains copper and zinc in the ratio 5:2 and another contains zinc and tin in the ratio 3:2. if two parts of 1st alloy and one part of 2nd alloy are melted together to form a new alloy of copper, zinc and tin, the ratio of the metals will be ?
    I'll start with

How many pounds of alloy 1 will give me integer amount of copper and integer amount of zinc.

Looks like 7 pounds of first alloy give me 5 pounds of copper and 2 pounds of Zn.

Next I'll ponder the statement - "two parts of 1st alloy and one part of 2nd alloy are melted together"....
    Last edited by Subhotosh Khan; 08-20-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell

Quote Originally Posted by syedz.aneeq View Post
    Urgently need solution of this question as soon as possible
    What is the urgency?