How to split 29-day 124.86 gas bill between 3 people (2 for only 18 days)

Annee

If a gas bill for 29 day was 124.86 and 2 people had to pay for 18 day and 3 people had to pay for 29 days what would they owe

If a gas bill for 29 day was 124.86 and 2 people had to pay for 18 day and 3 people had to pay for 29 days what would they owe
what are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

Just won't fiqure out right

Just can't get this in my head as 2 people end up paying more for the 18 days than the 3 people for 29 days

Gas bills are tricky.
Those have

fixed charges and
there are consumption charges.

So you need to tell us about those charges clearly.

apartments

Bill 124.86, apartment #1 has 3 people for 29 days bill, apartment #2 has 2people for 18 days so that would be $4.30 a day so to me it would make apt.2 $77.40 and apt. 1 would be for 29 days $47.46. I just doesn't look right that #2 has $77.40. Is it right? This total includes all the extra service charges.

Last edited:
[The b]ill [totaled $]124.86...This total includes all the extra service charges.

[A]partment #1 has 3 people [in residence] for [the entire] 29 days [of the] bill
[A]partment #2 has 2 people [in residence only] for 18 days.

So that would be $4.30 a day
What is "that"? How did you arrive at this value? If you'd divided the total billed amount, $124.86, by the maximum number of days, 29, you'd have arrived at $4.31 per day. But this would assume that the people around for only eighteen of the days would be paying "their share" (two-fifths, I guess?) for the entire period. Was this what had been agreed? What does the lease say?

o[,] to me[,] it would make [the charge to A]pt.2 $77.40 and apt. 1 would be for 29 days $47.46.

How are you getting this? What were all of your steps?

Thank you! ;)