How to Calculate the Amount of Points to Win a Spot.

CR1988

I think this the right forum, forgive me if this is not. This is part of a game that I am trying to figure out, so don't help me if there are more important things to help others with. I play a game where you build great buildings. These great buildings give out benefits to help you out within the game. To get more out of the great building you raise it's level by getting people to put points onto your great building's level, with each higher level taking slightly more points than last. The top 5 spots of the people who donate points to the level get extra rewards. My question is how to calculate the amount points to secure a spot? For an example below:

Total points to reach the next level: 2,086 points

1st place has: 1,044 points (so he's already secured in 1st place no matter what)
2nd place has: 522 points (he's also secured in his place for 2nd)
3rd place has: 56 points (not secured)
4th place has: 5 points (not secured)
5th place has: 2 point (not secured)
Others with smaller amount points that will win no rewards

So the total points that are still available to be taken: 432 points

How do I calculate the number of points I need to put down to secure 3rd place by taking consideration the 56 points from the guy that I am trying to bump down to forth with me starting from zero points put down?

Any help or directing me towards the right path on finding the right equation would be a greatly appreciated. Thanks.

In an Excel sheet, I have this equation:

((X-Y)/2) + (Z/2)=points needed to take the spot

X=Total points needed to level
Y=Current total points that are already used
Z=Nearest challenger's points he has placed down

I know there's something wrong with this equation, it's not perfect. I just can't place my finger on what's wrong.

I wish I followed that. Not clear at all what is wanted. One thing, if you answer your own post, it doesn't show up n the "unanswered" list and is much less likely to get any response.