calculating 2 equations: x+y=3421, 23% of x + 13.5% of y = 684.34

north

I need help with the following problem. I will appreciate any help to solve this:

x+y=3421
23% of x + 13.5% of y = 684.34

What are the values of x and y?

calculating 2 equations …

x+y=3421

Instead of "calculating 2 equations", we call the process "solving a system of two equations".

The values of x and y are what you're calculating.

We don't use percent signs in equations. That is, determine expressions for "23% of x" and "13.5% of y", and use those expressions in the equation, instead.

Are you going to use the Substitution Method, the Elimination Method, the Graphing Method, or some other method, to solve this system of two equations?

(If you have a choice, I think the Substitution Method will be easier, for this system.)

Either way, what have you tried or thought about so far? Where did you get stuck?

PS: Please be sure to read the forum guidelines, if you haven't already done so. Thanks. :cool:

Last edited:
I need help with the following problem. I will appreciate any help to solve this:

x+y=3421

What method(s) did they give you in class for this?

Using what you learned back in pre-algebra, how did you reformat the second equation, converting it from English to math?

If you solved the first equation for one of the variables (your choice as to which) and then plugged this in to the second equation, where did this lead?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)