Hydrostatic Force

Frenchi33

I missed a single class because I was sick and now I see the words "hydro-static force" on a homework problem. Can someone explain this to me? I don't even know where to begin. Are there formulas I should know?

"A rectangular viewing window is placed on a vertical wall of a large aquarium. The dimensions of the window are 4ft by 6ft. The bottom of the window is 12ft below the surface. Calculate the hydrostatic force on the window."

I think it's supposed to be an integral? It doesn't sound like a difficult problem, but I have zero knowledge of how to solve it.

I missed a single class because I was sick and now I see the words "hydro-static force" on a homework problem. Can someone explain this to me? I don't even know where to begin.
To find lessons and worked examples, try googling keywords: how to solve hydrostatic force problems :cool:

Trust me, I tried reading online, but I'm just confused on what the picture is supposed to look like.

So F = Density * Width * Depth

So F = 62.4 (?) (?)dx?

I don't understand how you get the width and depth from the picture, primarily because I don't know if I'm drawing it correctly.

Would "depth" be 9 because it's the average between 6 and 12? If I'm drawing the picture right...

Also, how would you find the "width?"

So far, I have F = 62.4 (?) (9)dx

Is that right?