Thread: One-sided limit

One-sided limit

Hi, geniuses!

I need your expertise once again now that I've encountered a problem that I can't really figure out and Google wasn't doing much to help.

I have to figure out what the limit of 1/x-cos(x)/sin(x) when x approaches pi-.

I know that the answer is infinity but when i try to calculate it i always get negative infinity.
    My calculations are that 1/pi is a meaningless constant leaving us with -cos(x)/sin(x). cos(pi)=-1 and sin(pi)=0 so we have that - (-1) divided by an extremely small (negative, as it comes from -pi) number is equal to infinity. How is that possible? Are there any other ways to argue for the limit is infinity?

Thanks a lot! Any answer will be appreciated!
    //DanishKid

Elite Member
    You're oh so close.

sin(pi-) > 0
    sin(pi+) < 0

Chew on that.
    "Unique Answers Don't Care How You Find Them." - Many may have said it, but I hear it most from me.

Quote Originally Posted by tkhunny View Post
    You're oh so close.

sin(pi-) > 0
    sin(pi+) < 0

Chew on that.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but I look at the unit circle and see that if I go to pi+ (counterclockwise) then sin has a positive number as its slightly over the x-axis, but if I go to pi- I'll have to go clockwise around the circle and therefore end up in a negative number. Am I wrong on this?

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danishkid View Post
    Hi, geniuses!

I need your expertise once again now that I've encountered a problem that I can't really figure out and Google wasn't doing much to help.

I have to figure out what the limit of 1/x-cos(x)/sin(x) when x approaches pi-.

I know that the answer is infinity but when i try to calculate it i always get negative infinity.
    My calculations are that 1/pi is a meaningless constant leaving us with -cos(x)/sin(x). cos(pi)=-1 and sin(pi)=0 so we have that - (-1) divided by an extremely small (negative, as it comes from -pi) number is equal to infinity. How is that possible? Are there any other ways to argue for the limit is infinity?

Thanks a lot! Any answer will be appreciated!
    //DanishKid
    Is your problem:

[tex]\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to {\pi}^{-}}\left [\frac{1}{x} - \frac{cos(x)}{sin(x)}\right ]}[/tex]...................this is what you posted

or something else?
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Subhotosh Khan View Post
    Is your problem:

[tex]\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to {\pi}^{-}}\left [\frac{1}{x} - \frac{cos(x)}{sin(x)}\right ]}[/tex]...................this is what you posted

or something else?
    Yes! That's my problem

Elite Member
    "pi-" has values less than pi. Approaching from an anti-clockwise direction if you must. Approaching from the left on a number line with typical orientation.
    "pi+" has values greater than pi. Approaching from a clockwise direction if you must. Approaching from the right on a number line with typical orientation.

sin(pi-) > 0

If you look at a number line, rather than a circle, it will be more clear. The circle definition doesn't mean much for this problem, anyway. Leave it and move to the number line.
    "Unique Answers Don't Care How You Find Them." - Many may have said it, but I hear it most from me.

Quote Originally Posted by tkhunny View Post
    "pi-" has values less than pi. Approaching from an anti-clockwise direction if you must. Approaching from the left on a number line with typical orientation.
    "pi+" has values greater than pi. Approaching from a clockwise direction if you must. Approaching from the right on a number line with typical orientation.

sin(pi-) > 0

If you look at a number line, rather than a circle, it will be more clear. The circle definition doesn't mean much for this problem, anyway. Leave it and move to the number line.
    I think I got it! Thank you very much!