Is there an specific order for solving systems of equations when doing substitutions?

Mathmonkey

I don't have a math problem right now, but whenever I'm given a system of equations, I get different answers depending on the order in which I solve them. This issue has been following me since 8th grade. I think I'm messing up the steps as I solve them. Do you guys have any method you use to determine the order in which you solve them? Anything will help.

Is there an specific order for solving systems of equations when doing substitutions?
No, but some choices may be more natural than others. It depends on the system.

… whenever I'm given a system of equations, I get different answers depending on the order in which I solve them.
It sounds like you might be making mistakes. Some of those answers could have been correct.

… I think I'm messing up the steps as I solve them.
Let's see how it goes. Please show your work on solving the following system of equations, using the substitution method.

5y + 13 = 8x

4x + 5y/3 = 9

I don't have a math problem right now, but whenever I'm given a system of equations, I get different answers depending on the order in which I solve them. This issue has been following me since 8th grade. I think I'm messing up the steps as I solve them. Do you guys have any method you use to determine the order in which you solve them? Anything will help.

If the number of equations is small (say 3 or less), I generally do a direct substitution unless it appears something is easier. A very simple example whose solution should be causal to the more simple observer:
(1) x + y = 7
(2) x - y = 1
so
(1') x = 7 - y
(2') (7-y) -y = 1 or 6=2y or y=3

(1'') x = 7 - y = 7 - 3 = 4

Otherwise just go through the usual augmented matrix and row reduction method. An example of this for a 3X3 system is shown at
http://www.mathportal.org/algebra/solving-system-of-linear-equations/row-reduction-method.php