Right triangle in a circle

Zulgok

Right triangle is in a circle. Circle's length is 14.5. 1 leg of the triangle is longer by 1 than the other one. Find legs' length and triangle's area.

I found the hypotenuse and then tried to use the pythagoras theorem to find the length of the leg, but the number I got was horrifying. What steps should I take to find a correct answer ?

Right triangle is in a circle. Circle's length is 14.5. 1 leg of the triangle is longer by 1 than the other one. Find legs' length and triangle's area.

I found the hypotenuse and then tried to use the pythagoras theorem to find the length of the leg, but the number I got was horrifying. What steps should I take to find a correct answer ?

What does that mean?

Circumference? Diameter? or something else?

It's 29/2pi, but I can't find the legs. The pi is making it really hard. I tried using pythagoras theorem, but the numbers get all messed up.

It's 29/2pi, but I can't find the legs. The pi is making it really hard. I tried using pythagoras theorem, but the numbers get all messed up.
Please share your work - even with messed up numbers.

Why do you think your numbers are incorrect - messed-up?

Then what is the length of the diameter of the circle? That would be also the length of the hypotenuse.

Not necessarlly. What the OP gave to you is flawed.

Right triangle is in a circle.

A right triangle is inscribed in a circle. The problem needs that.

It's 29/2pi, but I can't find the legs.

It's 29/(2pi). You need grouping symbols.

My suggestion is to use a decimal number approximation for your hypotenuse instead of manipulating the expression with the pi symbol.

In your calculator, press these in: 29, divide, (, 2, multiply, 3.14159, ), ENTER

Keep four rounded decimal places from that to use to solve for the leg lengths in the \(\displaystyle \ \ a^2 + b^2 = c^2 \ \ \) equation.

Last edited: