Fraction problem when no total given

patelsm

Hi all,
Hope it is okay for me to ask help on this question which I need to understand on how to figure it out before teaching my child (age 9, yr 5 in UK):

"Three eights of a park is laid out in gardens and 2/5 is set aside for games. What fraction of the park is set aside for other purposes"

Are they saying that from the 3/8, 2/5 is used for games - as in an overlap or 3/8 is dedicated for gardens and then 2/5 for games, in the second case how can we do an "of" without knowing the total unit (say for example acres).

Any help will be highly appreciated.

thanks,
Saf

You must first become precise in the reading of the language. Don't invent things that are not said. There is no mention of overlap.

"Three eights of a park is laid out in gardens and 2/5 is set aside for games. What fraction of the park is set aside for other purposes"

Here's a park: PPPPPPPPPP PPPPPPPPPP PPPPPPPPPP PPPPPPPPPP (Why did I pick 40 characters?)
Here's the same park with 2/5 set aside for games (G). 2/5 = 16/40 GGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGPPPP PPPPPPPPPP PPPPPPPPPP
Here's the same park with 3/8 set aside for gardens (N). 3/8 = 15/40 GGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGNNNN NNNNNNNNNN NPPPPPPPPP

You must first become precise in the reading of the language. Don't invent things that are not said. There is no mention of overlap.

Here's a park: PPPPPPPPPP PPPPPPPPPP PPPPPPPPPP PPPPPPPPPP (Why did I pick 40 characters?)
Here's the same park with 2/5 set aside for games (G). 2/5 = 16/40 GGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGPPPP PPPPPPPPPP PPPPPPPPPP
Here's the same park with 3/8 set aside for gardens (N). 3/8 = 15/40 GGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGNNNN NNNNNNNNNN NPPPPPPPPP

Thank you TK.
Yes, I think I read too much into it inventing things.
The way you explained with Ps, Ns and Gs is cool.
40 characters as in 2/5 + 3/8.
cheers.
Saf

Question is simple:
1 - 3/8 - 2/5 = ?

I can perhaps also explain using x + 3/8 + 2/5 = 1, where x is the area for other purposes and then...
x = 1 - 3/8 - 2/5
this is good.
Thank you Denis.
saf