Dividend Payments Per Quarter & Per Year: quarterly dividend of $0.25 per share

KWF

If the stock from a certain company pays a quarterly dividend of $0.25 per share, how much would an investor receive at the end of one quarter and at the end of the year?

Are these calculations correct?

1. 50 shares X $0.25/quarter/share = $12.50/quarter.

2. $12.50/quarter X 4 quarters/year = $50.00/year

3. Which is more accurate to use $0.25/quarter/share = ($0.25 per quarter per share) or $0.25/share/quarter = ($0.25 per share per quarter)?

If the stock from a certain company pays a quarterly dividend of $0.25 per share, how much would an investor receive at the end of one quarter and at the end of the year?

Are these calculations correct?

1. 50 shares X $0.25/quarter/share = $12.50/quarter.

2. $12.50/quarter X 4 quarters/year = $50.00/year

3. Which is more accurate to use $0.25/quarter/share = ($0.25 per quarter per share) or $0.25/share/quarter = ($0.25 per share per quarter)?

Yes, the calculations are correct.

For (3) neither is really more correct, they are the same thing mathematically. Some may prefer one or tuher but it makes no difference.

AT "end of year" is same as "end of quarter";
do you mean "over 1 year?

There are four quarters in one year. I wanted the amount for just one quarter and then for the entire year. I just wanted to know whether the calculations are correct.

Yes, the calculations are correct.

For (3) neither is really more correct, they are the same thing mathematically. Some may prefer one or tuher but it makes no difference.

Would the following be correct?

50 shares/quarter X $0.25/share X 4 quarters/year

The 50 shares/quarter does not look correct or accurate.

You're back 7 months later with same problem?

q = quarterly per share (.25)
a = annually per share (q*4=1.00)
S = number of shares

quarterly = S*q
annually = S*a

Don't complicate it ;)

Yes, how time flies!

Same topic different question.

I think that you complicated it. I really do not understand your solution to my question. Could you try again using a complete calculation that I provided?

Would the following be correct?

50 shares/quarter X $0.25/share X 4 quarters/year

The 50 shares/quarter does not look correct or accurate.

I think you are asking entirely about the way you state units, and are not questioning the numbers you get. Am I right? That may be what confuses people -- it's a good idea to explain what your concern is, specifically.

I agree that "50 shares per quarter" makes no sense. What you have is 50 shares, not some rate (gaining 50 shares each quarter, for example), which is what "per quarter" implies. That belongs with the $0.25 per share (which is the amount earned per quarter), not with the number of shares.

Why were you not satisfied with the previous formulation, or with the answers that said you were correct?

I think you are asking entirely about the way you state units, and are not questioning the numbers you get. Am I right? That may be what confuses people -- it's a good idea to explain what your concern is, specifically.

I agree that "50 shares per quarter" makes no sense. What you have is 50 shares, not some rate (gaining 50 shares each quarter, for example), which is what "per quarter" implies. That belongs with the $0.25 per share (which is the amount earned per quarter), not with the number of shares.

Why were you not satisfied with the previous formulation, or with the answers that said you were correct?

I think that "$0.25/quarter/share" is confusing and complicated. Usually there are just two units involved in many situations: 50 miles/gallon as an example. With $0.25/quarter/share, this becomes more complex with three units involved. I was looking for a calculation that would be more easily understood and that would show how the units cancel.

I think that "$0.25/quarter/share" is confusing and complicated. Usually there are just two units involved in many situations: 50 miles/gallon as an example. With $0.25/quarter/share, this becomes more complex with three units involved. I was looking for a calculation that would be more easily understood and that would show how the units cancel.

I don't think anything that accurately represents the situation could be any less complicated. All the units are there because they belong there; hiding them would be lying.

I don't suppose you're familiar with physics units like kg/A*s^2 (kilogram per ampere-second2); there, when you are dividing by multiple units, they are indicated as being multiplied in the denominator, so your unit would become "$0.25/quarter*share". That would be more confusing to most people.

If there is anything at all you could do differently, it might be to use parentheses to group units: "($0.25/quarter)/share", or "($0.25/share)/quarter". (I'm not sure which order I consider clearer; that may depend on your perspective.)

I should perhaps add that if you are trying to communicate with people who are easily confused, and who don't need to learn the whole system of units, you could perhaps simplify things by working only with one thing at a time: For one quarter, the earnings are $0.25/share, so 50 shares earn 50 shares * $0.25/share = $1.25; over 4 quarters, this becomes 4*$1.25 = $5.00, which could, if necessary, be explained by calling it 4 qtrs * $1.25/qtr = $5.00. You'd only bring in the quarters when you move beyond one quarter.