how to derive an equation for exponential curve rising from 0 to 2500

StewieTee

Hi,
I have a requirement to use an equation that maps a set of values (0..72) into an exponential rising curve from 0 to 2500. Is there a way to do this? How do I derive an equation that satisfies this?
Its use is to map a set of 72 LED's to an exponentially rising power consumption curve.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Stewie.

Do you have access to a spreadsheet?

If you were required to fit a straight lie, would you be up to that?

Hi,
I have a requirement to use an equation that maps a set of values (0..72) into an exponential rising curve from 0 to 2500. Is there a way to do this? How do I derive an equation that satisfies this?
Its use is to map a set of 72 LED's to an exponentially rising power consumption curve.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Stewie.
What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

I have a requirement to use an equation that maps a set of values (0, ..., 72) into ["onto"?] an exponential rising ["increasing"?] curve from 0 to 2500. Is there a way to do this? How do I derive an equation that satisfies this?
There are probably many ways to do this, though a statistical regression of some sort might be one of the more customary. However, you posted this question to "algebra" rather than to "statistics", so maybe you're not supposed to do a regression (or maybe you're just supposed to plug-n-chug in your graphing calculuator). Regardless, you should probably use whatever method or software they taught you to use in class or in your textbook. What was this? How far have you gotten in applying this information?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

Problem solved

Hi,
Sorry about the delay, I have been traveling. Thanks to all who inputted to the thread.

This is not homework or anything to do with a course or 'official' structured learning. Its for a real world application in a device I'm building for my home (I'm 55 years old btw..:) .
I did find a method to achieve what I was looking for but to make it easier for myself, I decided to cross one axis at 1. With two points defined, one on an axis, I found methods to solve that. After solving it and then looking at the relevant curve I discovered that it was not going to do what I wanted anyway :). Oh well, it was a good exercise to go through.
What I found I needed is a series of stepped linear sections that would give a better display of the data I was trying to show.

I design and build electronic stuff (and write software). I do this as a hobby although my job is electronics related.
I have an energy monitoring system in pace, it keeps track of domestic power usage and solar production. Within this system I have available a real-time feed (5 second chunks) of what the current power status is, exactly how much is being imported or exported.
I though it would be good to have a large (about a meter high) bar-graph display that tracks in real time what is happening. There are several reasons for a large display, not least of them is my eyesight is not what it used to be, so I can see from a distance whats going on.
My peak possible consumption is about 8KW but that has never happened. Most of the activity is between 0 and 4KW and thats only when the kettle and several other devices are all on. Generally it sits around 150 - 250W so I needed a display that was quite sensitive at the low end and as consumption increased, the scale becomes more compressed.
This seems best achieved by a series of line segments that change slope as the consumption increases.
The reason I mention all this is to show:
Math does actually have real life uses :)
The best way to learn is to have an actual real 'thing' to solve.
Thanks all.
StewieTee

If only it were clear exactly what you wanted. There are MANY ways to proceed. Some idea of the data and a better idea of what you have tried that you found unsatisfactory would be very helpful.

55? Just a youngster. :)