Need help w/ "Find his total sales in a month when he earned 25,000.", etc.

AlexandraXY

Hey guys!

I need some help with these questions, I can barely find out on my own what I have to do a lot of times :(

Question 1. A salesman receives a basic salary of 10,000 and a commission of 5% on all sales. Find his total sales in a month when he earned 25,000.

Question 2. How many two - digit numbers are not divisible by 4 nor 5?

Question 3. If 7n leaves a remainder of 8 when divided by 9, what is the remainder when 5n is divided by 9?

And many more questions, feels like I'm a hopeless case when it comes to understanding what to do with what no matter how hard I try ?? thanks in advance!

Hey guys!

I need some help with these questions, I can barely find out on my own what I have to do a lot of times :(

Question 1. A salesman receives a basic salary of 10,000 and a commission of 5% on all sales. Find his total sales in a month when he earned 25,000.

How much did the salesman earn in commission only?

The numbers that are divisible by 5 - ends with (unit position) either 5 or 0.

how many two-digit numbers are there that end in 5 or 0? (there are other ways to figure this out - I find this to be the easiest way)?

Question 3. If 7n leaves a remainder of 8 when divided by 9, what is the remainder when 5n is divided by 9?

And many more questions, feels like I'm a hopeless case when it comes to understanding what to do with what no matter how hard I try ?? thanks in advance!

You know the "basic" value. You are given an implied formula for the "commission" portion. You are given the total, and asked for his sales. So you're probably wanting to find out how much his sales were. Since you don't know what that is, you might want to pick a variable for this.

Are you familiar with variables at all? (here) (Since you posted this to "arithmetic", rather than to "algebra" or even "pre-algebra", it stands to reason that maybe you haven't learned that stuff yet. In which case, this exercise may be a tad more difficult.)

How much of his "total" was earned via commission? (Hint: Subtract.)

Given that his commission income was five percent of his sales, how much then were his sales?

Are you familiar with how to set up and solve "percent of" word problems? (here)

How many two-digits numbers are there?

How many multiples of five are in that list? (Hint: Multiply.) (Write them all out, if you're not sure.)

How many multiples of four are in that list? (Hint: Multiply.) (Write them all out, if you're not sure.)

Do these two lists have any duplicates? If so, cross them out of one of the lists.

How many multiples do you now have in the two lists?

How many two-digits numbers are thus not in either of these lists? (Hint: Subtract.)

If you haven't yet studied any pre-algebra or algebra yet, I'm not sure how you're expected to do this. What did your textbook and instructor do for similar exercises?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

Doing that without algebra: the multiples of 7 are 7, 14, 21, 28, 35, 42, 49, 56, 63, 70, 77, 84, 91, .... The remainders when divided by 9 are 7, 6, 3, 1, 8, ... So one value for n is 5: 7n= 35= 9*3+ 8. 5n= 5(5)= 25. 9 divides into 25 twice with remainder 25- 18= 7. Of course, here we are assuming that this problem has a unique answer so choosing one value of n is sufficient.

Hey guys!

The salesman earns 25,000 a month? So 300,000 a year? I am in the wrong field! Please tell me this not in U.S. dollars!