Confounding geometric series convergence problem

hoppfull

Use the geometric series to compute the Taylor series for

. . . . .\(\displaystyle f(x)\, =\, \dfrac{1}{2\, -\, x}\)

Where does this series converge? Hint:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2\, -\, x}\, =\, \dfrac{1}{2}\, \dfrac{1}{1\, -\, \frac{x}{2}}\)

I know the following series converges while |x| < 1:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{1\, -\, x}\, =\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\, x^k\)

Which must mean that

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2}\, \dfrac{1}{1\, -\, \frac{x}{2}}\, =\, \dfrac{1}{2}\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\, \left(\dfrac{x}{2}\right)^k\)

converges while

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \bigg|\dfrac{x}{2}\bigg|\, <\, 1, \Longleftrightarrow\, |x|\, <\, 2\)

What if I had approached this problem in a different way?

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2\, -\, x}\, =\, \dfrac{1}{1\, -\, (x\, -\, 1)}\)

Which means that

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{1\, -\, (x\, -\, 1)}\, =\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\, (x\, -\, 1)^k\)

converges while

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle |x\, -\, 1|\, <\, 1\, \Longleftrightarrow\, 0\, <\, x\, <\, 2\)

What am I missing here? Both answers can't be correct. Is neither correct?

Attachments

• geometric series problem.jpg
    geometric series problem.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2\, -\, x}\, =\, \dfrac{1}{2}\, \dfrac{1}{1\, -\, \frac{x}{2}}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{1\, -\, x}\, =\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\, x^k\)

Which must mean that

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2}\, \dfrac{1}{1\, -\, \frac{x}{2}}\, =\, \dfrac{1}{2}\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\, \left(\dfrac{x}{2}\right)^k\)

converges while

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \bigg|\dfrac{x}{2}\bigg|\, <\, 1, \Longleftrightarrow\, |x|\, <\, 2\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2\, -\, x}\, =\, \dfrac{1}{1\, -\, (x\, -\, 1)}\)

Which means that

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{1\, -\, (x\, -\, 1)}\, =\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\, (x\, -\, 1)^k\)

converges while

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle |x\, -\, 1|\, <\, 1\, \Longleftrightarrow\, 0\, <\, x\, <\, 2\)

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

Last edited by a moderator:
What are your thoughts?

Well, my thoughts are why does one approach yield this answer?
\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \bigg|\dfrac{x}{2}\bigg|\, <\, 1 \Longleftrightarrow\, -2 <\, x\, <\, 2\)
And another approach (which seems equally valid to me) yield this answer?
\(\displaystyle \displaystyle |x\, -\, 1|\, <\, 1\, \Longleftrightarrow\, 0\, <\, x\, <\, 2\)

Which must mean that

converges while

Which means that

converges while

Both are correct. They are both representations of the original function valid in different regions. For example suppose we want the reciprocal 999. Since 999 is (1000-1) we can use your equation above of
.\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{1\, -\, x}\, =\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\, x^k\)
but not directly. We do the same sort of thing you did and rewrite the equation. That is
. .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{999}\, =\,\dfrac{1}{1000}\,\dfrac{1}{1\,-\dfrac{1}{1000}}\, =\, \dfrac{1}{1000}\,\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\,\left( \dfrac{1}{1000}\right)^k\)

Thus we can actually get a convergence for \(\displaystyle |x|\, >\, 1\) with a simple rearrangement

Both are correct. They are both representations of the original function valid in different regions. For example suppose we want the reciprocal 999. Since 999 is (1000-1) we can use your equation above of
.\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{1\, -\, x}\, =\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\, x^k\)
but not directly. We do the same sort of thing you did and rewrite the equation. That is
. .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{999}\, =\,\dfrac{1}{1000}\,\dfrac{1}{1\,-\dfrac{1}{1000}}\, =\, \dfrac{1}{1000}\,\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\,\left( \dfrac{1}{1000}\right)^k\)

Thus we can actually get a convergence for \(\displaystyle |x|\, >\, 1\) with a simple rearrangement

This is very confusing. I can see how the two approaches are equivalent. However I can't see why \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(x - 1\right)^k\) would yield a less complete answer than \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\dfrac{x}{2}\right)^k\). It actually seems like the first approach is the safer approach since we're not breaking anything out before we analyze it.