Weighted Average for a multiple choice questions

Mark85

Hi,

I am designing an application where one of the requirements is to show a multiple choice questions and calculate scores based on the selected answer by the users. I am not strong enough in math and dont have complete picture of how to achieve this. It will be nice if someone can help me resolve this.

Questions fall into three categories. Lets say A,B and C. Each category has 2 questions with different weightage and each question has four possible options. Each option has an associated percentage. I have drawn the question format, question weight and answer percentages in the below table. From this, i want to calculate, total score of the student and break down of the scores under each category. Youtube videos are explaining only on the basic weighted average calculation. I felt this one is slightly different and I could not find a clear steps to resolve. It will be nice if someone could explain the steps on how to solve this with any formula. I will have to program this systematically to achieve my design.

Question CategoryQuestion / AnswerQuestion Weight & Answer Percentage
ACategory A Question 1Question Weight = 1
Option 1100%
Option 250%
Option 325%
Option 40%
ACategory A Question 2Question Weight = 3
Option 1100%
Option 250%
Option 325%
Option 40%
BCategory B Question 1Question Weight = 2
Option 1100%
Option 250%
Option 325%
Option 40%
BCategory B Question 2Question Weight = 3
Option 1100%
Option 250%
Option 325%
Option 40%
CCategory C Question 1Question Weight = 4
Option 1100%
Option 250%
Option 325%
Option 40%
CCategory C Question 2Question Weight = 2
Option 1100%
Option 250%
Option 325%
Option 40%

I am designing an application where one of the requirements is to show a multiple choice questions and calculate scores based on the selected answer by the users. I am not strong enough in math and dont have complete picture of how to achieve this. It will be nice if someone can help me resolve this.
I'm sorry, but writing computer programs is not a service provided by this site, nor is it reasonably feasible within this environment to attempt to teach you whatever mathematics you're needing. FreeMathHelp is instead exactly as advertised, a free forum where volunteers give of their time, when they're able, to help struggling students with their math homework questions (and this assistance requires that the student have at least a basic grasp of the underlying material). For further info, kindly please review the "Read Before Posting" announcement.

In case nobody here provides you with the logic flow, pseudo-code, etc: To hire a programmer to assist you with producing your app, you might want to try Mechanical Turk, or maybe hire somebody in your local area, so you can explain, face-to-face, what it is that you're needing. Good luck! ;)