Can you solve this for me please? Evaluate logs, trig expression, integral

simpjkee

Hi everyone. I haven't done math since I was in college about 13 years ago, but I'm trying to solve this. I believe it is algebra, but honestly don't remember the difference between algebra, calculus, etc. Can anyone solve this?

\(\displaystyle \mbox{1. }\, \ln(e)\, +\, \log_{12}(1)\, -\, \log(1)\)

\(\displaystyle \mbox{2. }\, 6\, \sin\left(\dfrac{\pi}{6}\right)\, +\, 4\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \mbox{3. }\, \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\, \cos(x)\, dx\)

It should be three numbers. Each of the three numbers should be between 0 and like 35.

Thanks All!

Attachments

• IMG_20171009_225307791.jpg
    IMG_20171009_225307791.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20171009_225307791.jpg
    IMG_20171009_225307791.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone. I haven't done math since I was in college about 13 years ago, but I'm trying to solve this. I believe it is algebra, but honestly don't remember the difference between algebra, calculus, etc. Can anyone solve this?

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \mbox{3. }\, \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\, \cos(x)\, dx\)

It should be three numbers. Each of the three numbers should be between 0 and like 35.
It's a tricky business, "solve this for me". Is this a placement test? If it is, you should miss the ones you don't know how to do. This will help put you in the right class.

Hint: \(\displaystyle \log_{B}(1) = 0\)
Hint: \(\displaystyle \log_{B}(B) = 1\)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, each of these "evaluate the expression" problems should result in a numerical value. The first one comes from algebra ("intermediate", "advanced", or "pre-calculus", depending upon the school), the second one comes from trigonometry, and the third one comes from calculus.

The fact that you have no idea how to start any of them means that you need to study at least three college semesters of mathematics before being able to enroll in the class that covers the third problem. Unfortunately, even if this were one of those "cheetz" sites that does people's homework for them (and we're not!), doing these three problems for you would help you not one whit. You need to take the underlying courses first. I would suggest starting with "beginning" or "introductory" algebra.

P.S. If you're trying to "study" for a placement test, please review this article on the purpose of these tests. ;)

I have a Master's in substance abuse counseling. My program had no math in it and my licensure exam didn't have any numbers at all that I remember.

I'm a geocacher. In order to find a geocacher in my area I have to get 3 numbers from these math problems which are the 3 numbers to a padlock that opens the geocache. That's all. No shady business going on here.

Thanks.

I have a Master's in substance abuse counseling. My program had no math in it and my licensure exam didn't have any numbers at all that I remember.

I'm a geocacher. In order to find a geocacher in my area I have to get 3 numbers from these math problems which are the 3 numbers to a padlock that opens the geocache. That's all. No shady business going on here.
To learn what logs are and how to evaluate them (for the first exercise), try here.

For the second problem, you can learn about evaluating trig expressions here. You may first want to convert the argument, currently written in terms of radians, to degrees. (here).

For the third problem, you'll need to learn about integration formulas, and how to evaluate integrals. Online courses are available, such as here.

Have fun! ;)

To learn what logs are and how to evaluate them (for the first exercise), try here.

For the second problem, you can learn about evaluating trig expressions here. You may first want to convert the argument, currently written in terms of radians, to degrees. (here).

For the third problem, you'll need to learn about integration formulas, and how to evaluate integrals. Online courses are available, such as here.

Have fun! ;)

Yeah, when I last did math in my undergrad I probably could have done this, but that was 14 years ago. I really have 0 interest in relearning all this since learning it again would help me not one whit. In my career field, as long as you can count to about 20 you're good to go. I do like geocaching though so if someone could just help a brotha out and solve it that would be fantastic.

Well, if you're REALLY serious about your geocaching, it appears you may need a few more tools. Good luck.

Seeking help from knowledgeable people IS a tool. ☺️

Well, we do need to be careful of purpose. Our purpose, here, is to help math students. When you include, "I've really not all that interested...", or words to that effect, this really is not looked upon favorably.