Absolute Value Function and its Properties

doughishere

I found the following: http://www.math.tamu.edu/~stecher/171/absoluteValueFunction.pdf (attached if the site goes dead.) What ive done is re-work the same thing with the gaps filled in. The goal behind this was to learn absolute values a bit more and writing it down helped I felt like doing it one day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zKl2wgrlKw

This is my understanding of it and is heavily "borrowed" form the above work. I can remove if necessary or not cool. I also suspect its not 100pct correct. Lemma 3 was the hardest.

Absolute Value Function and its Properties
One of the most used functions in mathematics is the absolute value function. Its definition and some of its properties are given below.

The absolute value of a real number \(\displaystyle x, |x|\), is
\(\displaystyle |x|=\left\{\begin{array}{rl}x; &\mbox{ if $x\ge0$}\\ -x; &\mbox{ if $x<0$}\end{array}\right\}\)

Example 1: Solve for a)\(\displaystyle |2|\) and b)\(\displaystyle |-2|\).​
a) \(\displaystyle |2| = 2\)​
b) \(\displaystyle |-2| = -(-2) = 2\)​

The absolute value function is used to measure the distance between two numbers. Thus, the distance between \(\displaystyle x\) and \(\displaystyle 0\) is \(\displaystyle |x-0| = x\). In general, the distance between \(\displaystyle x\) and \(\displaystyle y\) is \(\displaystyle |x-y|\).
Example 2: Solve for the distance from a) \(\displaystyle -2\) to \(\displaystyle -4\) and b) \(\displaystyle -2\) to \(\displaystyle 5\)​
a) \(\displaystyle |x-y| = |-2-(-4)|=2\)
b) \(\displaystyle |x-y| = |-2-(5)|=|-7|=7\)​

Lemma 1.
For any two real numbers \(\displaystyle x\) and \(\displaystyle y\), we have
\(\displaystyle |xy| = |x| |y|\).​

This equality can be verified by considering cases:
1)Suppose \(\displaystyle x < 0\) and \(\displaystyle y \ge 0\). Then \(\displaystyle xy\) is \(\displaystyle \le 0\) and we have​
\(\displaystyle |xy| = -(xy) = (-x)y = |x||y|\).​
2)Suppose \(\displaystyle x < 0\) and \(\displaystyle y < 0\). Then \(\displaystyle xy\) is \(\displaystyle > 0\) and we have​
\(\displaystyle |xy| = (xy) =(-x)(-y) =|x||y|\).​
3)Suppose \(\displaystyle x \ge 0\) and \(\displaystyle y > 0\). Then \(\displaystyle xy\) is \(\displaystyle \ge 0\) and we have​
\(\displaystyle |xy| = (xy) = (x)(y) = |x||y|\).​
4)Suppose \(\displaystyle x \ge 0\) and \(\displaystyle y < 0\). Then \(\displaystyle xy\) is \(\displaystyle < 0\) and we have​
\(\displaystyle |xy| = -(xy) =(x)(-y) = |x||y|\).​

Lemma 2.
For any real number \(\displaystyle x\), and any nonnegative number \(\displaystyle a\), we have
\(\displaystyle |x|\le\begin{array}{rl}a; &\mbox{ if and only if $ -a \le x \le a$}\end{array}\).​

This can be verified by considering the cases, \(\displaystyle x \ge 0\) and \(\displaystyle x < 0\).
1) Suppose \(\displaystyle x \ge 0\) and \(\displaystyle |x| \le a\). This implies that \(\displaystyle -a \le 0 \le x = |x| \le a\). In other words, \(\displaystyle |x| \le a\) implies that \(\displaystyle -a \le x \le a = |x| \le a\).

Cadfsdfpture.jpg

Conversely, suppose \(\displaystyle x \ge 0\) and \(\displaystyle -a \le 0 \le x = |x| \le a\). This implies \(\displaystyle |x| = x \le a\).

2) Suppose \(\displaystyle x < 0\) and \(\displaystyle |x| \le a\). This implies that \(\displaystyle -a \le x \le 0 = |x| \le a\). In other words, \(\displaystyle |x| \le a\) implies that \(\displaystyle -a \le x \le a = |x| \le a\).

Capt3ure.jpg

Conversely, suppose \(\displaystyle x < 0\) and \(\displaystyle -a \le x \le 0 = |x| \le a\). This implies \(\displaystyle |x| = x \le a\).​

Lemma 3.
For any real number \(\displaystyle x\), and any nonnegative number \(\displaystyle a\), we have
\(\displaystyle |x|\ge\begin{array}{rl}a; &\mbox{ if and only if $ x \ge a $ or $ x \le -a$}\end{array}\).

This can be verified by considering the cases, \(\displaystyle x \ge 0\) and \(\displaystyle x < 0\).
1) Suppose \(\displaystyle x \ge 0\) and \(\displaystyle |x| \ge a\). This implies that \(\displaystyle |x| = x \ge a\). In other words, if \(\displaystyle x \ge a\) implies that \(\displaystyle |x| = x \ge a\).​
Capture2.jpg

Conversely, suppose \(\displaystyle x < 0\) and \(\displaystyle |x| \ge a\), then we have​
\(\displaystyle -x = |x| \ge a\)
\(\displaystyle x \le -a\)​
Also, suppose \(\displaystyle x < 0\) and \(\displaystyle x \le -a\). This implies that​
\(\displaystyle -x = |x| \ge a\)​

2) Suppose \(\displaystyle x < 0\) and \(\displaystyle |x| \ge a\). We can not have this case since we assume that \(\displaystyle x \ge 0\).
Lemma 4.
To be done.

Doug, you should sleep well after all that :twisted:

haha..yeah i wanted to learn it and make sense of it so i just decided to write it down for everyone.....this way i learned it...im out for a few days so i wont be able to finish it.

....I just hope it looks good and helps.

… Suppose \(\displaystyle x \ge 0\) and \(\displaystyle \;|x|\) \(\displaystyle \le a\).
If we begin with the supposition that x is non-negative, is it necessary to write |x|≤a instead of x≤a?

… In other words, \(\displaystyle |x| \le a\) implies that \(\displaystyle -a \le x \le \) \(\displaystyle a = |x|\) \(\displaystyle \le a\).
Why does this say that x=a?

If we begin with the supposition that x is non-negative, is it necessary to write |x|≤a instead of x≤a?

Why does this say that x=a?

Sorry i was out for a bit.

Um...This is Lemma 2 right....my understanding is that the goal of the proof is that the supposition( x≥0 and |x|≤a) implies [FONT=MathJax_Main]−[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]a[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]≤[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]0[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]≤[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]=[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]|[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]|[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]≤[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]a. [/FONT] The diagram basically.[FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]

[/FONT]
The converse then is also true..that is if we suppose x ≥ 0 and −a ≤ x ≤ a then that implies |x| = x ≤ a. Correct?

I need to work on my reasoning.....my "translation" of how my brain thinks about it to getting it to others. Thats mostly what this is an exercise in.

I think it should be reworked:

1) Suppose \(\displaystyle x \ge 0\) and \(\displaystyle |x| \le a\). This implies that \(\displaystyle -a \le 0 \le x = |x| \le a\). In other words, \(\displaystyle |x| \le a\) implies that \(\displaystyle -a \le x \le a. \)

which is exactly what you were getting at right?

and the converse should be fixed also:

Conversely, suppose \(\displaystyle x \ge 0\) and \(\displaystyle -a \le 0 \le x \). This implies \(\displaystyle |x| = x \le a\).

Last edited:
Sorry. my great aunt just died and life just kinda got in the way....thats no excuse for my failing to understand this stuff and last few posts were rushes that i did in between a lot of shuffling around. But im back in my work area which means i can concentrate....

Honestly im a little embarrassed by those posts but my desire to know this stuff has made me tuck my embarrassment and im here to ask more question and ive been watching some quantum mechanics stuff (thanks mit! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei8CFin00PY)that only makes me want to learn this more. Way over my head but i recognize some of it so.....its really just a tease at this point.

Which brings me to the conclusion of that story....which is thank you guys for helping. Seriously, thanks.

But i must get good at this to get good at that.....so these are more having to do with actual problems.

The question to be answered is....write \(\displaystyle |x+2|\) without absolute values if \(\displaystyle x > 3 \).

My understanding is this:

By the general rule(definition?) of absolute value.....
\(\displaystyle |x+2| = \left\{ \begin{array}{rl} x+2 &\mbox{ if $x\ge0$} \\
-(x+2) &\mbox{otherwise, ie. x<0 }
\end{array} \right.\)

and since the problem tells us that \(\displaystyle x > 3 \) then the answer is \(\displaystyle x+2\).

Is this fantasy....like do I want this to be true...and it simply is not in which case my question is whats the correct reasoning if were asked something along the lines of "solve the inequality if x is...". Should i just whip out a number line each time and stop being lazy?

source: http://www.mesacc.edu/~marfv02121/readings/absolute.htm

Edit: i think i got it. I did the first three. Is the following correct:

1) Write \(\displaystyle |x+2|\) without absolute values if \(\displaystyle x>3\).
Answer: If \(\displaystyle x>3\) and \(\displaystyle a = x+2\), then \(\displaystyle a\) \(\displaystyle >0\) and thus \(\displaystyle |a|=(x-2)=x-2\).

Last edited:
… Write \(\displaystyle |x+2|\) without absolute values if \(\displaystyle x>3\).
Answer: If \(\displaystyle x>3\) and \(\displaystyle a = x+2\), then \(\displaystyle a\) \(\displaystyle >0\) and thus \(\displaystyle |a|=(x-2)=x-2\).
You're right; adding a positive number (2) to a positive number (x) results in a positive number (x+2).

|x + 2| = x + 2

You meant to type plus signs, instead of those minus signs, yes? :cool:

Last edited: