Water Basin dimensions, given thickness, volume, variable, etc.

iv7

A water basin is made with outer dimensions that is x inches high. The width is 3 times the height. The length is 6 times the height. The walls of the basin are 1 inch think on each of the four sides as well as the bottom (i.e. there is no "top wall" of the basin). The volume of the inside of the basin is 40 cubic inches. What is the dimensions of the basin?

A water basin is made with outer dimensions that is x inches high. The width is 3 times the height. The length is 6 times the height. The walls of the basin are 1 inch think on each of the four sides as well as the bottom (i.e. there is no "top wall" of the basin). The volume of the inside of the basin is 40 cubic inches. What is the dimensions of the basin?
What have you done, so far? Where did you get stuck? :cool:

What is the height of the basin (on the outside)?

What then is the width (on the outside)? (Hint: Multiply.)

What then is the length (on the outside)? (Hint: Multiply.)

What then are the width and length on the inside? (Hint: Subtract.)

What is the expression for the volume V of the inside of the basin? (Hint: Multiply.)

What equation does this give you?

What did you get for the value of the variable?

What then are the (outer) dimensions of the basin?

If you get stuck, please reply showing your work in following the above step-by-step instructions. Thank you! ;)