Christmas tree cone covered with Baci chocolates - How many chocolates?

char1otte

Hi everyone,

I am making a Christmas tree cone and will stick Baci chocolates onto it (similar to Ferro Rocher), like the photo attached.

I need to know how do I calculate how many chocolates I would need to buy based on the size of the cone. I will make the cone out of cardboard, so I can vary the size.

The chocolates are the size of a walnut, so I am assuming 3.5 cm x 4 cm.

What would be the formula to use?

Thanks!

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
Good luck. Within some theoretical reason, each layer should get one bigger than the previous row. Of course, this doesn't work at the top. I suspect this will require some finagling and there will be no perfect formula. Chocolates doesn't always fit together as neatly as desired.

Last edited:
I am making a Christmas tree cone and will stick Baci chocolates onto it (similar to Ferro Rocher), like the photo attached.

I need to know how do I calculate how many chocolates I would need to buy based on the size of the cone. I will make the cone out of cardboard, so I can vary the size.

The chocolates are the size of a walnut, so I am assuming 3.5 cm x 4 cm.

What would be the formula to use?
"The formula to use" will vary with the simplifications and assumptions of the exercise. "Packing" of various sorts is actually a fairly complex area of study, and some seemingly simple questions have yet to be answered. (For instance, here, here, here, or here.)

So what assumptions and formulas are you operating under, for answering this homework question? (If this were a "real life" question, one would of course just fiddle with the chocolates until one found what worked.) When you reply, please include a clear listing of your thoughts and efforts so far. Thank you! ;)