Thread: How do you solve for s? (12x5 - 30x4) - (sx3 - 7)(2x2 - 5x + 3)

How do you solve for s? (12x5 - 30x4) - (sx3 - 7)(2x2 - 5x + 3)

A polynomial expression is shown below.
    (12x5 - 30x4) - (sx3 - 7)(2x2 - 5x + 3)
    The expression is simplified to -18x3 + 14x2 - 35x + 21.

What is the value of s?

Elite Member
    Have you considered multiplication?
    "Unique Answers Don't Care How You Find Them." - Many may have said it, but I hear it most from me.

Quote Originally Posted by tkhunny View Post
    Have you considered multiplication?
    I didnt post the problem right, thanks for posting though. I'll have to make another post.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by happiness View Post
    A polynomial expression is shown below:

. . . . .(12x5 - 30x4) - (sx3 - 7)(2x2 - 5x + 3)

The expression is simplified to:

. . . . .-18x3 + 14x2 - 35x + 21

What is the value of s?
    As suggested earlier, the first step will be to multiply out and simplify the given expression. Then you'll want to "equate coefficients". That is, you'll find the term in the first expression that has "s" in its coefficient, and you'll look at the corresponding term in the given simplified form. Since the polynomials can be equal only if their coefficients are the same, then you can equate the two relevant coefficients, and solve for the value of "s".

Reply to Stapel

Quote Originally Posted by stapel View Post
    As suggested earlier, the first step will be to multiply out and simplify the given expression. Then you'll want to "equate coefficients". That is, you'll find the term in the first expression that has "s" in its coefficient, and you'll look at the corresponding term in the given simplified form. Since the polynomials can be equal only if their coefficients are the same, then you can equate the two relevant coefficients, and solve for the value of "s".
    Can you show me step-by-step how you would do that? btw the problem is a picture attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by happiness View Post
    Can you show me step-by-step how you would do that? btw the problem is a picture attachment.
    You already have loads of step-by-step worked solutions in your book and in your class notes, so us doing this exercise for you isn't likely to make much difference. Now is the time to try something!

First, you need to multiply out the original expression. Where are you getting stuck in that process? (here) Please reply showing all of your steps so far. Thank you!

By the way, the attachment is way too small to be legible. Sorry.