Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gambling Phrase: "$5.00 will get you $10.00 if she is late again for work."

Gambling Phrase: "$5.00 will get you $10.00 if she is late again for work."

What does the following indicate?

$5.00 will get you $10.00 if she is late again for work.

I know that it pertains to betting or gambling.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KWF View Post
    $5.00 will get you $10.00 ...
    Means "if you win I'll give you ten, else you give me five..."

or: "my ten to your five..."
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

Elite Member
    We both put $5 on the table. If she's late, you take it all. If she's not, I take it all.
    "Unique Answers Don't Care How You Find Them." - Many may have said it, but I hear it most from me.

Gambling Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by tkhunny View Post
    We both put $5 on the table. If she's late, you take it all. If she's not, I take it all.
    I want to thank you for the reply! I am confused. Is there a difference from what you indicated and what Denis has indicated? There seems to be a contradiction here in the explanations.

There seems to be a contradiction here in the explanations.
    Please explain what you see as a contradiction. Thanks.
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969

Elite Member
    It is a common fallacy in the personal calculation of "winning" at gambling. It sounds like your winnings are more if you forget that you wagered something and you just get it back.
    "Unique Answers Don't Care How You Find Them." - Many may have said it, but I hear it most from me.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm4444bot View Post
    Please explain what you see as a contradiction. Thanks.
    "...if you win, I'll give you ten, else you give me five..." If I lose, I lose $5.00. If I win, I get $10.00, but keep my $5.00. This explanation appears to indicate that $15.00 is evolved in the bet.
    He places $10.00 on the table, and I place $5.00. If I win I get my $5.00 plus his $10.00: Total $15.00

"We both put $5 on the table, if she's late, you take it all." If I lose, I lose $5.00. If I win, I get $10.00, but still keep my $5,00. This explanation appears to indicate that $10.00 is evolved in the bet.
    He places $5.00 on the table and I place $5.00 on the table. If I win, I get my $5.00 plus his $5.00: Total $10.00.

The wording is somewhat confusing to me. I may not be a contradiction, but it is confusing to me.
    Last edited by KWF; 11-20-2017 at 09:07 AM.

"...if you win, I'll give you ten, else you give me five..." If I lose, I lose $5.00. If I win, I get $10.00, but keep my $5.00. This explanation appears to indicate that $15.00 is evolved in the bet.
    That's not correct. I can understand how you might be confused; Denis didn't mention that you're betting $5 in advance, so the $10 you get (if you win) includes your $5 bet. You're up $5.

"Five will get you ten" is an offer that means you wager $5 for a chance to win back $10. Whether you actually hand over the $5 wager in advance or wait until after the bet is over to settle doesn't matter. You "spend" $5 either way.

But, really, when somebody says something like, "five will get you ten that she'll be late again", it's often not an offer to gamble at all; it's an idiomatic phrase that simply means, "I think it's very probable that she'll be late again".
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969

Quote Originally Posted by mmm4444bot View Post
    That's not correct. I can understand how you might be confused; Denis didn't mention that you're betting $5 in advance, so the $10 you get (if you win) includes your $5 bet. You're up $5.

"Five will get you ten" is an offer that means you wager $5 for a chance to win back $10. Whether you actually hand over the $5 wager in advance or wait until after the bet is over to settle doesn't matter. You "spend" $5 either way.
    Thanks for the reply and explanation: This is how I understand the bet. If I win, I get the $10.00 from the other person making the bet. He loses $10.00 If I lose, I give the person making the bet $5.00. I only lose $5.00.

Elite Member
    "five..." - You wager $5. It is gone. It is the price of playing the game.
    "...will get you $10" - $10 comes your way if you win.

There is nothing here about $15.00.

"I won $5.00 in the lottery!!" No, you didn't. You paid $2.00 for that ticket. You "won" only $3.00.

"I won $112.75 from the slot machine!" No, you didn't. You pumped in $140.25 worth of quarters and dollars. You actually "won" a NEGATIVE $27.50. We like to call this a "loss".

There is no "keeping" of your wager. Your up-front expense is part of the deal. If you get to take back your wager, then you didn't play the game and you don't "win" anything. Gambling is subversive. It wins. You don't. I once went through Las Vegas. I was young. I wanted know what this gambling thing was all about. I asked an employee, "Where's a good machine?" She laughed, "There are no good machines! Why do you think we keep adding on?" I pumped in my 75 budget, thought, "That was stupid," and went on with my life. Of course, if that's really how you want to spend your entertainment budget, that's up to you. This isn't really a morality speech. It's a hint that if you think gambling has ANYTHING to do with being FAIR, then you have not thought about it correctly. The odds are ALWAYS in favor of the "House". Always. There may be an up-front fire sale to make you start thinking you can win. Don't believe it. Funny thing is, those who do defeat the house once in a while are usually cheaters and they are thrown out immediately. But, I speak of institutional gambling. Your little $5.00 wager is based on an opinion, not an actual calculation of odds. Still, you don't EVER get to keep your wager.
    Last edited by tkhunny; 11-20-2017 at 09:57 AM.