Gambling Phrase: "$5.00 will get you $10.00 if she is late again for work."

KWF

What does the following indicate?

$5.00 will get you $10.00 if she is late again for work.

I know that it pertains to betting or gambling.

We both put $5 on the table. If she's late, you take it all. If she's not, I take it all.

Gambling Phrase

We both put $5 on the table. If she's late, you take it all. If she's not, I take it all.

I want to thank you for the reply! I am confused. Is there a difference from what you indicated and what Denis has indicated? There seems to be a contradiction here in the explanations.

It is a common fallacy in the personal calculation of "winning" at gambling. It sounds like your winnings are more if you forget that you wagered something and you just get it back.

Please explain what you see as a contradiction. Thanks. :cool:

"...if you win, I'll give you ten, else you give me five..." If I lose, I lose $5.00. If I win, I get $10.00, but keep my $5.00. This explanation appears to indicate that $15.00 is evolved in the bet.
He places $10.00 on the table, and I place $5.00. If I win I get my $5.00 plus his $10.00: Total $15.00

"We both put $5 on the table, if she's late, you take it all." If I lose, I lose $5.00. If I win, I get $10.00, but still keep my $5,00. This explanation appears to indicate that $10.00 is evolved in the bet.
He places $5.00 on the table and I place $5.00 on the table. If I win, I get my $5.00 plus his $5.00: Total $10.00.

The wording is somewhat confusing to me. I may not be a contradiction, but it is confusing to me.

Last edited:
"...if you win, I'll give you ten, else you give me five..." If I lose, I lose $5.00. If I win, I get $10.00, but keep my $5.00. This explanation appears to indicate that $15.00 is evolved in the bet.
That's not correct. I can understand how you might be confused; Denis didn't mention that you're betting $5 in advance, so the $10 you get (if you win) includes your $5 bet. You're up $5.

"Five will get you ten" is an offer that means you wager $5 for a chance to win back $10. Whether you actually hand over the $5 wager in advance or wait until after the bet is over to settle doesn't matter. You "spend" $5 either way.

But, really, when somebody says something like, "five will get you ten that she'll be late again", it's often not an offer to gamble at all; it's an idiomatic phrase that simply means, "I think it's very probable that she'll be late again". :cool:

That's not correct. I can understand how you might be confused; Denis didn't mention that you're betting $5 in advance, so the $10 you get (if you win) includes your $5 bet. You're up $5.

"Five will get you ten" is an offer that means you wager $5 for a chance to win back $10. Whether you actually hand over the $5 wager in advance or wait until after the bet is over to settle doesn't matter. You "spend" $5 either way.

Thanks for the reply and explanation: This is how I understand the bet. If I win, I get the $10.00 from the other person making the bet. He loses $10.00 If I lose, I give the person making the bet $5.00. I only lose $5.00.

"five..." - You wager $5. It is gone. It is the price of playing the game.
"...will get you $10" - $10 comes your way if you win.

There is nothing here about $15.00.

"I won $5.00 in the lottery!!" No, you didn't. You paid $2.00 for that ticket. You "won" only $3.00.

"I won $112.75 from the slot machine!" No, you didn't. You pumped in $140.25 worth of quarters and dollars. You actually "won" a NEGATIVE $27.50. We like to call this a "loss".

There is no "keeping" of your wager. Your up-front expense is part of the deal. If you get to take back your wager, then you didn't play the game and you don't "win" anything. Gambling is subversive. It wins. You don't. I once went through Las Vegas. I was young. I wanted know what this gambling thing was all about. I asked an employee, "Where's a good machine?" She laughed, "There are no good machines! Why do you think we keep adding on?" I pumped in my 75¢ budget, thought, "That was stupid," and went on with my life. Of course, if that's really how you want to spend your entertainment budget, that's up to you. This isn't really a morality speech. It's a hint that if you think gambling has ANYTHING to do with being FAIR, then you have not thought about it correctly. The odds are ALWAYS in favor of the "House". Always. There may be an up-front fire sale to make you start thinking you can win. Don't believe it. Funny thing is, those who do defeat the house once in a while are usually cheaters and they are thrown out immediately. But, I speak of institutional gambling. Your little $5.00 wager is based on an opinion, not an actual calculation of odds. Still, you don't EVER get to keep your wager.

Last edited:
Maybe the concept of a net gain or loss is the stumbling block. One person ends up with a net loss of $5, and the other person ends up with a net gain of $5.

Nobody loses $10 or gains $10.

Forget Denis' explanation (for the moment) and focus on tkhunny's. Each person wagers $5.

One person loses their $5 wager. The other person gets their $5 wager back plus they also get the loser's $5 wager (i.e., their net gain is $5).

Thanks for the reply and explanation: This is how I understand the bet. If I win, I get the $10.00 from the other person making the bet. He loses $10.00 If I lose, I give the person making the bet $5.00. I only lose $5.00.
Still no. He risked only $5. $5 of the $10 winnings came from you. Your scenario expresses even greater confidence in winning the bet. He offers to risk $10 to entice you to risk $5. In your last case...

1) You put $5 on the table.
2) He puts $10 on the table.
3) Winner takes the $15 (You can take $10 from him, but he can take only $5 from you.)

If HE makes the terms, it is phrased "5 will get you 15" In other words, he wagers twice as much as you, based on his strong confidence.
If YOU make the terms, it is phrased "10 will get you 15" In other words, you wager half as much as him, based on your weak confidence.
This is not an even bet.

In your original example, both participants would have said, "5 will get you 10". This is an even bet.

Again, "five will get you ten that …" can also be an informal way of expressing confidence, without actually betting. It's like saying:

"I think it's very likely that …"

"It's highly probably that …"

"Chances are strong that …"

"It's a sure thing that …"

ALWAYS BET RESPONSIBLY ;)

Agreed.

...or "I'm willing to state, with some confidence, that ____________ will happen. Are you willing to state the complimentary outcome with equal confidence?"

On the other hand, if you state this in its figurative sense, and then money comes out on the table, what will you do? 5 will get you 10 that there is a literalist in the group. :)

Also, if you're in a group when you make such an announcement, it is possible that each member of the group will take the action. Better to specify EXACTLY to whom the non-figurative wager is extended.

Last edited:
"five..." - You wager $5. It is gone. It is the price of playing the game.
"...will get you $10" - $10 comes your way if you win.

There is nothing here about $15.00.

"I won $5.00 in the lottery!!" No, you didn't. You paid $2.00 for that ticket. You "won" only $3.00.

"I won $112.75 from the slot machine!" No, you didn't. You pumped in $140.25 worth of quarters and dollars. You actually "won" a NEGATIVE $27.50. We like to call this a "loss".

There is no "keeping" of your wager. Your up-front expense is part of the deal. If you get to take back your wager, then you didn't play the game and you don't "win" anything. Gambling is subversive. It wins. You don't. I once went through Las Vegas. I was young. I wanted know what this gambling thing was all about. I asked an employee, "Where's a good machine?" She laughed, "There are no good machines! Why do you think we keep adding on?" I pumped in my 75¢ budget, thought, "That was stupid," and went on with my life. Of course, if that's really how you want to spend your entertainment budget, that's up to you. This isn't really a morality speech. It's a hint that if you think gambling has ANYTHING to do with being FAIR, then you have not thought about it correctly. The odds are ALWAYS in favor of the "House". Always. There may be an up-front fire sale to make you start thinking you can win. Don't believe it. Funny thing is, those who do defeat the house once in a while are usually cheaters and they are thrown out immediately. But, I speak of institutional gambling. Your little $5.00 wager is based on an opinion, not an actual calculation of odds. Still, you don't EVER get to keep your wager.

I want to thank you for the reply, but to me what you have explained is no difference than a regular $5.00 bet. If I bet $5.00 that some occurrence or situation will occur as I think, I get the $5.00 in return from the other person. I do not pay $5.00 upfront. In your explanation for $5.00 will get you $10.00, I pay $5.00 upfront, and if I win I get the $5.00 back plus another $5.00 from the person losing the bet. I actually did not win $10.00 only $5.00.

That is right. Gambling is deceptive. One might speak of the wager as "get you ten", when, as you noticed, you get only five. It is a deception that entices you to participate. Simple as that.

"5 will get you 10 if _________" might also be phrased "5 will get you 0 if not __________". Of course,the house doesn't like to emphasize the second equivalent expression. It is deception.

Last edited: