Rational Functions problem: driver averaged 60mph on 300-mi trip....

kikithecat

Hi there!

There was a question on my homework worksheet that has me a little confused. I just don't know where to start. It goes like this :

"A driver averaged 60 miles per hour on a road trip from Santa Cruz to Los Angeles which is nearly 300 miles away. The average speed for going was x and the average speed for returning was y. (Hint : a 600 mile trip averaging 60 miles per hour means 10 total hours). Using Distance/Rate = Time formula, show that :
y = (30x) / (x-30)"

It says in the problem that I have to use the Distance/Rate=Time formula, but I am not sure how with this context. Do I have to start out with values and simplify it down to the one in the problem? If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.:)

Hi there!

There was a question on my homework worksheet that has me a little confused. I just don't know where to start. It goes like this :

"A driver averaged 60 miles per hour on a road trip from Santa Cruz to Los Angeles which is nearly 300 miles away. The average speed for going was x and the average speed for returning was y. (Hint : a 600 mile trip averaging 60 miles per hour means 10 total hours). Using Distance/Rate = Time formula, show that :
y = (30x) / (x-30)"

It says in the problem that I have to use the Distance/Rate=Time formula, but I am not sure how with this context. Do I have to start out with values and simplify it down to the one in the problem? If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.:)

time required to go was = 300/x .... (Distance/Rate = Time formula)

time required for return was = 300/y .... (Distance/Rate = Time formula)

300/x + 300/y = 10

continue.....

time required to go was = 300/x .... (Distance/Rate = Time formula)

time required for return was = 300/y .... (Distance/Rate = Time formula)

300/x + 300/y = 10

continue.....

Oh! I see. Now, would you use that equation to isolate y to get the formula from the problem? Thanks so much!