non-zero - irrelevant discussion - https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/109069-

• Thread starter Deleted member 4993
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4993

tkhunny said:
Possible Example: 21212 <== While this has five nonzero digits, it certainly also has four nonzero digits. The problem statement did NOT say ONLY four.

Very nicely explaind. However, the problem statement did say SMALLEST - so 21212 would not work.

Well, that was fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: non zero

SK: Indeed. I was only trying to read the question, not answer it. Of course, the astute observer will see that I did both without admitting it. I am a little surprised no one picked on me for buying the word "smallest" without objection. :D

m-bot: Yup. Words mean things. This is a common hurdle where many stumble. Of course, I am assuming that the intent of the question is what is written. The actual intent is anyone's guess, except maybe the author.

romy: So, did your 5th grader buy it?

Possible Example: 21212 <== While this has five nonzero digits,
it certainly also has four nonzero digits. The problem statement
did NOT say ONLY four.
Wrong.That is not a possible example. You're making up stuff.
A "four non-zero
digit number" is necessarily talking about a four- digit number. You don't
know what you're talking about.

Wrong.That is not a possible example. You're making up stuff.
A "four non-zero
digit number" is necessarily talking about a four- digit number. You don't
know what you're talking about.

Always good to keep young minds working.

Note: If your only contribution is vitriol, it's probably not needed. If you have a useful comment, particularly one that hasn't already been stated, feel free to share.

Let's look at he original questions:

1) What is [the] smallest non zero four digit number? <== This presupposes that we are talking about ONLY four digit numbers.

2) What is [the] smallest four non zero digit number? <== This makes no such presupposition. It requires only the four non-zero digits. It says nothing of any other digit that might exist.

Words mean things. Word order can be important. Part of the learning of mathematics is learning to communicate effectively.

Last edited: