Probability type problem

Reallybadatmath

Hello I'm having trouble with a problem that goes like this:
You have 21 plastic boxes. 17 are white, 4 are red. All the red boxes are empty. 14 of the white boxes are empty. 3 white boxes have prices hidden inside of them. So, to sum it up:4 empty red boxes;17 empty white boxes; 3 prize filled white boxes.
You then pick a box at random; and you get a white box. What is the probability that you won a price?
I think it might be 4/17; but I dont know if this is a Monty-Hall type situation where the seemingly obvious answer is wrong.

Here's a plan for you...

1) Change your user name. Why do you expect to succeed with an attitude like that?
2) Why do you thing 4/17 when there are only 3 prizes?
3) "Monte Hall"? Are you being asked to re-guess with a little more information? No.

You have 21 plastic boxes. 17 are white, 4 are red. All the red boxes are empty. Fourteen of the white boxes are empty; three of the white boxes have prizes hidden inside of them. So, to sum it up: 4 empty red boxes; 17 empty white boxes; 3 prize-filled white boxes. You then pick a box at random, and you get a white box. What is the probability that you won a prize?

I think it might be 4/17; but I don't know if this is a Monty-Hall type situation where the seemingly obvious answer is wrong.
You posted what you called a "probability type problem" to "Arithmetic", rather than to "Probability / Statistics". Does this mean that you haven't studied probability at all? If so, what techniques is your textbook or instructor expecting you to use?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)