Onliine linear algebra: find orthogonal projection of v = [-24, 38, -6, -21] onto...

Buckenfuzz

Hi everyone this is my first post on here, hoping I can get some help before the end of the semester. I'm taking an online linear algebra course and getting feedback from the staff has been rather difficult so I've turned to the online community for assistance!

First problem I've been having trouble with is finding an orthogonal projection:

Find the orthogonal projection of v = [-24,38,-6,-21] onto the subspace of W spanned by [3,-5,-4,0], [-4,4,-5,-4], [-3,-2,-2,-2]

Now, I've been working at this problem for at least an hour with no clue where im going wrong. Let the three vectors that span the subspace = x, y and z, then:

Proj W(v) = (v*x)/(x*x)x + (v*y)/(y*y)y + (v*z)/(z*z)z By the asterisk im implying a dot product, sorry I haven't learned how to write equations on a computer.

After following through with the arithmetic you end up with huge fractions. No matter how many times I check my work the online grading system webwork will not accept my answers. Any help is appreciated. I also have a few other problems I could really use help with if anyone has some time...Thanks!