Thread: Riemann sums: Which sum matches int[from 2 to 6] [1/(1 + x^5)] dx ?

Post Riemann sums: Which sum matches int[from 2 to 6] [1/(1 + x^5)] dx ?

Consider the following integral:

. . . . .[tex]\displaystyle \int_2^6\, \dfrac{x}{1\, +\, x^5}\, dx[/tex]

Which of the following expressions represents the integral as a limit of Riemann sums?

. . .[tex]\displaystyle \mbox{A. }\, \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \sum_{i=1}^n\, \dfrac{4}{n}\, \dfrac{2\, +\, \frac{4i}{n}}{1\, +\, \left(2\, +\, \frac{4i}{n}\right)^5}[/tex]

. . .[tex]\displaystyle \mbox{B. }\, \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \sum_{i=1}^n\, \dfrac{4}{n}\, \dfrac{2\, +\, \frac{4i}{n}}{1\, +\, \left(2\, +\, \frac{4i}{n}\right)}[/tex]

. . .[tex]\displaystyle \mbox{C. }\, \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \sum_{i=1}^n\, \dfrac{6}{n}\, \dfrac{2\, +\, \frac{6i}{n}}{1\, +\, \left(2\, +\, \frac{6i}{n}\right)^5}[/tex]

. . .[tex]\displaystyle \mbox{D. }\, \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \sum_{i=1}^n\, \dfrac{2\, +\, \frac{6i}{n}}{1\, +\, \left(2\, +\, \frac{6i}{n}\right)^5}[/tex]

. . .[tex]\displaystyle \mbox{E. }\, \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \sum_{i=1}^n\, \dfrac{6}{n}\, \dfrac{2\, +\, \frac{6i}{n}}{1\, +\, \left(2\, +\, \frac{6i}{n}\right)}[/tex]

. . .[tex]\displaystyle \mbox{F. }\, \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \sum_{i=1}^n\, \dfrac{2\, +\, \frac{4i}{n}}{1\, +\, \left(2\, +\, \frac{4i}{n}\right)^5}[/tex]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stapel; 11-30-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Typing out the text in the graphic; creating useful subject line.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiu1 View Post

Which of the following expressions represents the integral as a limit of Riemann sums?

. . .[tex]\displaystyle \mbox{A. }\, \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \sum_{i=1}^n\, \dfrac{4}{n}\, \dfrac{2\, +\, \frac{4i}{n}}{1\, +\, \left(2\, +\, \frac{4i}{n}\right)^5}[/tex]

. . .[tex]\displaystyle \mbox{B. }\, \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \sum_{i=1}^n\, \dfrac{4}{n}\, \dfrac{2\, +\, \frac{4i}{n}}{1\, +\, \left(2\, +\, \frac{4i}{n}\right)}[/tex]

. . .[tex]\displaystyle \mbox{C. }\, \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \sum_{i=1}^n\, \dfrac{6}{n}\, \dfrac{2\, +\, \frac{6i}{n}}{1\, +\, \left(2\, +\, \frac{6i}{n}\right)^5}[/tex]

. . .[tex]\displaystyle \mbox{D. }\, \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \sum_{i=1}^n\, \dfrac{2\, +\, \frac{6i}{n}}{1\, +\, \left(2\, +\, \frac{6i}{n}\right)^5}[/tex]

. . .[tex]\displaystyle \mbox{E. }\, \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \sum_{i=1}^n\, \dfrac{6}{n}\, \dfrac{2\, +\, \frac{6i}{n}}{1\, +\, \left(2\, +\, \frac{6i}{n}\right)}[/tex]

. . .[tex]\displaystyle \mbox{F. }\, \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \sum_{i=1}^n\, \dfrac{2\, +\, \frac{4i}{n}}{1\, +\, \left(2\, +\, \frac{4i}{n}\right)^5}[/tex]
    What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33
    Last edited by stapel; 11-30-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Copying typed-out graphical content into reply.
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kiu1 View Post

What is the Riemann-sum formula they gave you? How far have you gotten in plugging the given information into that formula?

Please be complete, starting with the limit-formula that your book gave you. Thank you!