Goat Roaming: "How much space does the goat have to move around?"

Symmbowl

“a rectangular shed measuring 4 feet by 5 feet is positioned along a barn. a 3 year old goat is tethered to a corner of this shed, not against the barn, with an eight foot rope. how much space does the goat have to move around”
no visuals provided
i’m guessing that the roaming area has to be the area of the circle with a radius of 8ft minus the area of the shed. But how do I figure out the area of the barn, it probably lies somewhere in the goats roaming radius so I don’t know how to find it. Please help, this Hw problem is due soon

“a rectangular shed measuring 4 feet by 5 feet is positioned along a barn. a 3 year old goat is tethered to a corner of this shed, not against the barn, with an eight foot rope. how much space does the goat have to move around”
no visuals provided
i’m guessing that the roaming area has to be the area of the circle with a radius of 8ft minus the area of the shed. But how do I figure out the area of the barn, it probably lies somewhere in the goats roaming radius so I don’t know how to find it. Please help, this Hw problem is due soon

The first thing to do is to draw a picture. What you find will not be quite what you guessed, because the rope can't pass through the shed.

Here is a page that discusses several scenarios of this type; yours is actually simpler than any of them in some ways, so you should look at the very last picture to get the best idea of what you need to do, then make your own picture. Since your shed is along the side of a barn, the details will be quite different, but some of the ideas there will be directly relevant. You may find that there is some missing information, which you will have to ask about.

If you need more help, be sure to write back with whatever work you have done, so we can guide you along. It would be good if you could attach your picture.