Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Apple and Blackcurrant: To make a 60ml concentrate the calculation would be...

  1. #1

    Apple and Blackcurrant: To make a 60ml concentrate the calculation would be...

    Hello thanks for looking, hope I知 posting in the right forum and have worded this correctly to get the result I知 look for, so here goes...

    To make a 60ml concentrate the calculation would be...
    If 10ml of 60ml was already 100% Apple and to make the mix complete the final 60ml mix including the 10ml needed to be 70% Apple and 30% Blackcurrant, how would you work out what % of Apple and Blackcurrant are needed to mix up the 50ml.

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,907
    Pick your individual beverage components and equate the VOLUME, not the percent.

    Apple 10 ml * 100% + Apple (some ml) * 100% = Apple Mixture 60 ml * 70%

    Alternatively

    Other (some ml) * 100% = Mixture 60 ml * 30%

    Just one piece at a time. I recommend doing it both ways an making sure you get the same answer, twice.

    In the future, please read the forum guidelines and show YOUR best work. You just got one for free.
    Last edited by tkhunny; 12-04-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    "Unique Answers Don't Care How You Find Them." - Many may have said it, but I hear it most from me.

  3. #3
    Hello @tkhunny

    Thanks for that, i値l Have a play when I get in, and see what happens as I may need to change Apple ml and percentage ratios for end result, it seems from your calculation though that this can be modified to my needs, much appreciated.

    by the way I did read the rules although I couldn稚 include my working out as every time I looked at the problem my brain hurt 😂, so I kinda had none just a headache.

    thanks again for the freebie 👍

  4. #4
    So if 40ml already contains Apple...
    And you need 20ml to make up 60ml of concentrate although the ratio of the end result should be 70% Apple and 30% Blackcurrant, to split the last 20% and take into account the end result already contains 40ml of Apple, then the 20ml of concentrate would have to be split...

    heres my working out...



    70% of 60 = 42
    70% of 20 = 12
    30% of 60 = 18
    30% of 20 = 6


    End result 42ml Apple 18ml Blackcurrant.


    Already got 40ml Apple...
    So the 20ml needs to be spilt into, 2ml Apple, 18ml of blackcurrant...


    So the 20ml mix needs to be 10% Apple as 2 is 10% of 20 &
    90% of Blackcurrant as 18 is 90% of 20.

    then when the 40ml Apple and the 20ml Apple and Blackcurrant are mixed the final result is exactly 70% Apple & 30% Blackcurrant



    This works perfectly, although there must be an easier way lol.

  5. #5
    Elite Member stapel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    15,521

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
    To make a 60ml concentrate the calculation would be...
    If 10ml of 60ml was already 100% Apple and to make the mix complete the final 60ml mix including the 10ml needed to be 70% Apple and 30% Blackcurrant, how would you work out what % of Apple and Blackcurrant are needed to mix up the 50ml.
    First, shame on the author for creating such a poorly-written exercise. It's no wonder you're confused!

    Here's how a standard textbook would write what (I suspect) this exercise means:



    You have two inputs: 100% apple juice and 100% black-currant juice. You need to make a mixture of these two juices, in which 70% of the mix is the apple juice, and 30% of the mix is the black-currant juice. You need to end up with 60 milliliters (mL) of mixed juice.

    Before you got to work, somebody already got started on the mix by putting 10 mL of apple juice into the vat. You're not allowed to empty this juice from the vat, so you'll have to work with what has already been done. How much more of each of the input juices do you need to add, in order to achieve the required result?




    Does that make better sense at all...?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
    heres my working out...

    70% of 60 = 42
    70% of 20 = 12
    30% of 60 = 18
    30% of 20 = 6
    What is the thinking for these computations? (I'm not understanding why they're being viewed as necessary...?)

    Quote Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
    End result 42ml Apple 18ml Blackcurrant.

    Already got 40ml Apple...
    So the 20ml needs to be spilt into, 2ml Apple, 18ml of blackcurrant...

    So the 20ml mix needs to be 10% Apple as 2 is 10% of 20 &
    90% of Blackcurrant as 18 is 90% of 20.

    then when the 40ml Apple and the 20ml Apple and Blackcurrant are mixed the final result is exactly 70% Apple & 30% Blackcurrant

    This works perfectly, although there must be an easier way lol.
    Yes, there is! Try using what you learned about percentages:

    a. What is 70% of 60? (Hint: Multiply.)

    b. So how many mL, in total, need to be apple juice?

    c. Then how many mL, in total, need to be black-currant juice? (Hint: Subtract.)

    d. How many mL of apple juice do you already have?

    e. So how many more mL of apple juice do you need? (Hint: Subtract.)

    f. How many mL have you added?

    g. Of that amount, what percentage was apple juice? (Hint: Divide.)

    h. What percentage was black-currant juice? (Hint: Divide.)

    That's it!

  6. #6
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    16,654
    Hurry up Rev: I'm getting thirsty
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

  7. #7
    Lol Hello @Denis

    thanks for that yes it does make a lot more sense now, I will have a play as I致e got loads to work out, all end results need to be 70% Apple and 30% Blackcurrant. Yet the all have varying degrees of Apple in them already, 10ml, 20ml, 30ml & 40ml.

    then I need to do the same again with 60% Apple and 40% blackcurrant and 80% Apple and 20% Blackcurrant as above each with 10ml, 20ml, 30ml and 40ml of Apple already in the glass.

    then work out what the ratio of each of the 10ml, 20ml, 30ml and 40ml need to be as a percentage, phew.

    i値l have a play around with your formula and see how I get on.

    many thanks

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by stapel View Post

    a. What is 70% of 60? (Hint: Multiply.)

    b. So how many mL, in total, need to be apple juice?

    c. Then how many mL, in total, need to be black-currant juice? (Hint: Subtract.)

    d. How many mL of apple juice do you already have?

    e. So how many more mL of apple juice do you need? (Hint: Subtract.)

    f. How many mL have you added?

    g. Of that amount, what percentage was apple juice? (Hint: Divide.)

    h. What percentage was black-currant juice? (Hint: Divide.)

    That's it!
    So... if the final result needed to be 80% Apple and 20% Blackcurrant and someone already put 30ml of apple in the vial

    a. 80% of 60 = 48
    b. So 48ml needs to be Apple
    c. So 60 - 48 = 12ml needs to be blackcurrant
    d. Already got 30ml of Apple
    e. Someone put 30ml Apple in the vial so 48 - 30 = 18ml more Apple needs to be added
    f. So I added 30ml in total to the vial 12ml + 18ml = 30ml
    g. So I added 18ml of Apple so 18 is 60% of 30
    h. Blackcurrant added was 12ml so 12 is 40% of 30

    So the the 30ml needs to be 60% Apple and 40% Blackcurrant.
    So when the 30ml mix is added to the Apple already in the vial the whole mix will be 80% Apple and 20% Blackcurrant?

    I think 🤔

    😀

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,392
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
    So... if the final result needed to be 80% Apple and 20% Blackcurrant and someone already put 30ml of apple in the vial

    a. 80% of 60 = 48
    b. So 48ml needs to be Apple
    c. So 60 - 48 = 12ml needs to be blackcurrant
    d. Already got 30ml of Apple
    e. Someone put 30ml Apple in the vial so 48 - 30 = 18ml more Apple needs to be added
    f. So I added 30ml in total to the vial 12ml + 18ml = 30ml
    g. So I added 18ml of Apple so 18 is 60% of 30
    h. Blackcurrant added was 12ml so 12 is 40% of 30

    So the the 30ml needs to be 60% Apple and 40% Blackcurrant.
    So when the 30ml mix is added to the Apple already in the vial the whole mix will be 80% Apple and 20% Blackcurrant?

    I think 🤔

    😀
    Put your answer back into the original problem.

    [tex]30 + 30 = 60.[/tex] That checks.

    [tex]0.6 \times 30 = 18.[/tex]

    [tex]18 + 30 = 48.[/tex]

    [tex]0.8 \times 60 = 48.[/tex] That checks.

    Learn to check your work; it is not complete until checked.

  10. #10
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    16,654
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    Learn to check your work; it is not complete until checked.
    Check mate!
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •