Scattered Crypt?

tongue

Perhaps an anagram indicator also required, like:
Moist plant interspersed randomly along route (6)
Clever try, Denis, but that's not what I have in mind. :cool:

Yes, if your interpretation were correct, I think the clue would definitely require an anagram indicator.

Hint: "interspersed along" is an indicator phrase. It has the same meaning as the indicator in the special mention appearing at the bottom of the rules that you use 99.9% of the time. :cool:

Hint: "interspersed along" is an indicator phrase. It has the same meaning as the indicator in the special mention appearing at the bottom of the rules that you use 99.9% of the time. :cool:

I think I've finally got it. Interleave a three-letter word for the VERB "plant" with a three-letter word for the noun "route". The result is a way a person can be moist. Right? (I don't know what rules you are using for spoilers.)

Right? (I don't know what rules you are using for spoilers.)
Right! :)

The spoiler tags broke some time ago, so we've been masking posted answers by changing the font color (i.e., highlighting reveals it). Like this:

** SwEaTy **

But similarly to anagram and container clues,
I don't think synonyms can be used.
The example shown at the "rules site" indicates
that...Texas (t,x) was part of the clue.

I'd say that "TX" is a synonym of "Texas", and "AI" is a synonym of "Artificial Intelligence"! In the container example, "pants" is a synonym for "trousers".

If you could only use the exact words as given, it would hardly be a puzzle.

I'd say that "TX" is a synonym of "Texas", and "AI" is a synonym of "Artificial Intelligence"!
No.
Heh. I was gonna post the same statement as the doc, yesterday. I think you're missing the point, Denis.

The character strings TX and AI are not given, in that clue; the solver needs to come up with 'em.

Now then, for those who are familiar with the so-called Cryckt form, the example in those rules is a trivial solve (for reasonably-informed people) because the solver already knows they need two 2-character strings to merge.

In my crypt, once the solver recognizes the Cryckt indicator, the puzzle would be trivial, were the strings SET and WAY provided outright:

Hot way sprinkles set (6)

There's only two possibilites. On the other hand:

Hot collection meshed with fashion (6)

is a puzzle! :cool:

Not quite [trivial to solve]: first, the clue would need to be "recognized"
as that type.
Well, okay. I understand, from your earlier post, that they snuck in the Cryckt form sometime after you read the rules.

Yet, I would expect that most Cryckt indicators will not be too difficult to recognize, for those who are aware of their existence.

weaves
woven into
interleaved
meshed with
meshes
sprinkled about
merged throughout
alternated with
interspersed along
zipped together
zips up

Be ready!! :p

Hey! Regarding your first guess, you could coin the 'Denis form'. That is, an indicator that refers to a subset of characters in a word or phrase.

Organ arrangement used golden tune extractions (6)

Organ = direct

arrangement used = anagram indicator ('used' implies fodder source)

golden tune extractions = GOTUNE (where 'extractions' is the Denis indicator)

answer = TONGUE

:cool:

I've been doing cryptics for a few years, but only occasionally (I've worked halfway through two books of them), and have no confidence that I could distinguish a fully valid clue from a horrible one! This conversation got me to read up on the "rules"; the Wikipedia page seems helpful. But the rules still leave a lot of freedom.