Quadratic Equation: Solve 2a^2+4a+5=0 by completing the square

Please helps me with 2a^2+4a+5=0, by completing the square.

One reason to ask you to show your work (beyond the fact that we want to help you learn, not just show off what we can do) is that there are slightly different ways that you may be taught, and it's best to help you with the same method.

The usual way, I think, would start by dividing everything by 2, and moving the 5/2 to the other side.

Please show what you can do, following examples in your textbook or elsewhere, and we can guide you from there. That's what "help" means!

Please helps me with … completing the square.
Did you try it? That is, are you stuck somewhere?

If you need explanations of the process, google keywords complete the square examples and check out some of the (free) sites. If you have any questions about what you find, please post them here. Otherwise, try your exercise, using the same steps you studied in the worked examples. If you get stuck, please show us whatever steps you tried. 8-)

Hint: Write y instead of 0 (we can go back to y=0, after completing the square)

2a^2 + 4a + 5 = y

Before completing the square, we need positive one for the leading coefficient (i.e., the number multiplying the squared variable). In this equation, the leading coefficient is 2, instead of 1.

What can you do to each side of the equation, to obtain a^2 instead of 2a^2?