Question about cascading values

peter690

I don't know if this is calculus or if it goes in another section. I don't even know if my title is correct...sorry.

I would like to know what kind of formulas would solve the following problem.

There is a resource being produced by unit A at a rate of 2 resource per 2 seconds per unit A. So if there are 5 of unit A, then there are 10 resources being created every 2 seconds.
Unit A is produced by unit B at a rate of 2 unit A per 6 seconds for every Unit B. So if there are 5 of unit B, then every 6 seconds there are 10 of unit A produced, which in turn will start creating more resources.
Unit B is produced by unit C at a rate of 2 unit B per 18 seconds for every Unit C.
Unit C is produced by unit D at a rate of 2 unit C per 54 seconds for every Unit D.

In other words, D adds to the value of C which adds to the value of B which adds to the value of A which adds to the value of resources.

Here is the question.

In scenario 1, we start with 10,200 of unit C at time = 0.

In scenario 2, we start with 1 of unit D at time = 0.

It's pretty simple to calculate that it will take 76.5 hour until scenario 2 has the same value for unit C. But here's the question that I have no idea how to tackle: How long will it take before scenario 2 has produced more total resources than scenario 1?

I don't know if this is calculus or if it goes in another section. I don't even know if my title is correct...sorry.

I would like to know what kind of formulas would solve the following problem.

There is a resource being produced by unit A at a rate of 2 resource per 2 seconds per unit A. So if there are 5 of unit A, then there are 10 resources being created every 2 seconds.
Unit A is produced by unit B at a rate of 2 unit A per 6 seconds for every Unit B. So if there are 5 of unit B, then every 6 seconds there are 10 of unit A produced, which in turn will start creating more resources.
Unit B is produced by unit C at a rate of 2 unit B per 18 seconds for every Unit C.
Unit C is produced by unit D at a rate of 2 unit C per 54 seconds for every Unit D.

In other words, D adds to the value of C which adds to the value of B which adds to the value of A which adds to the value of resources.

Here is the question.

In scenario 1, we start with 10,200 of unit C at time = 0.

In scenario 2, we start with 1 of unit D at time = 0.

It's pretty simple to calculate that it will take 76.5 hour until scenario 2 has the same value for unit C. But here's the question that I have no idea how to tackle: How long will it take before scenario 2 has produced more total resources than scenario 1?
I think I understand this question (not positive). In scenario 1, are there ever any units of D at all?

Here is an image of what the first 60 seconds would look like. I used formulas in Excel, but it's too long a calculation for me to extend these formulas as far as they would need to go.

< link to objectionable material removed >

Last edited by a moderator: