Equation needed to calculate the trajectory needed to intercept another object.

majorburn

Got a math question i need someone smarter than me to answer. I'm making a videogame, and need to have a monster jump to intercept the player. In order for it to look like a jump, the monster(object B) must go higher than the flying player (Object A) before coming down slightly to intercept the player.

Object A starting position
X axis = 0
Y axis = random between 0 and 20.
Z axis = random between -20 and 20.

Object B starting position
X axis = 100
Y axis = 0

Object A is travelling in a straight line along the X axis at 10 units a second directly towards object B.

Object B needs to launch itself so that it will travel in an arc, with the apex of the arc being slightly above the height of object A before decending to intercept object A at the half way point.

I need an equation that will calculate the velocity and angle required to hit object A with that lobbed projectile, assuming that no matter what the relative positions are, object B will be rotated to be facing Object A directly when it needs to fire. Also assume regular earth gravity and object B's projectile weighting 500 pounds.

Anyone got an answer for this?

I'm making a videogame, and need to have a monster jump to intercept the player. In order for it to look like a jump, the monster(object B) must go higher than the flying player (Object A) before coming down slightly to intercept the player.
Object A starting position X axis = 0 Y axis = random between 0 and 20.
Object B starting position X axis = 100 Y axis = 0 Z axis = random between -20 and 20.
Object A is travelling in a straight line along the X axis at 10 units a second directly towards object B.
Object B needs to launch itself so that it will travel in an arc, with the apex of the arc being slightly above the height of object A before decending to intercept object A at the half way point.
I need an equation that will calculate the velocity and angle required to hit object A with that lobbed projectile, assuming that no matter what the relative positions are, object B will be rotated to be facing Object A directly when it needs to fire. Also assume regular earth gravity and object B's projectile weighting 500 pounds.
What are your thoughts?
Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.