optimization word problem: The norris candy company makes two types of gum...

lill

The norris candy company makes two types of gum; happy chew and chewy chew. To make their gum, NCC has a two stage production. Each stick of happy chew requires 4 seconds at stage one and 6 seconds at stage two. Each stick of chewy chew requires 4 seconds at stage one and 2 seconds at stage two. Both stages run for a maximum of 8 hours a day, Also, they make make at least 2500 sticks of each type of gum per day. The profit of each stick of happy chew is $0.05 and the profit on each stick of chewy chew is $0.10. Find the maximum daily profit of the Norris candy company.
TO solve it, I first wrote down my restrictions then I graphed it in order to find my polygon of constraints. I would use the x and y coordinates of each vertex of the polygon of constraints in the calculation 0.05x+0.10y = optimizing function . The max I would get from his calculation would be my answer. However, I think I didn't write down the right restrictions because my answer isn't correct!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 3.37.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 3.37.11 PM.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The norris candy company makes two types of gum; happy chew and chewy chew. To make their gum, NCC has a two stage production. Each stick of happy chew requires 4 seconds at stage one and 6 seconds at stage two. Each stick of chewy chew requires 4 seconds at stage one and 2 seconds at stage two. Both stages run for a maximum of 8 hours a day, Also, they make make at least 2500 sticks of each type of gum per day. The profit of each stick of happy chew is $0.05 and the profit on each stick of chewy chew is $0.10. Find the maximum daily profit of the Norris candy company.
What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.
If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.
You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:
http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

This looks like a linear-programming exercise. Have you studied this method?

i added more!
In future, please reply with new information, rather than editing previous posts, so that the rest of us have a chance of understanding what is going on. I think your new portion is this:

TO solve it, I first wrote down my restrictions then I graphed it in order to find my polygon of constraints. I would use the x and y coordinates of each vertex of the polygon of constraints in the calculation 0.05x+0.10y = optimizing function . The max I would get from his calculation would be my answer. However, I think I didn't write down the right restrictions because my answer isn't correct!
However, since you haven't told us your reasoning, and have only mentioned that you took certain steps (rather than showing us what those steps might have been), we cannot comment on whatever your constraints, answer, etc, might have been. Sorry!

Please reply with the requested information, starting with the variables you picked and how you defined them. Thank you! ;)