Help w/ finding limit: ave 250 req/sec sent to server, ave req duration 2 secs, ...

JoeInRaleigh

I have a real world problem I am trying to solve and it's been some time since I've used more than the basic math. I'm looking to find out what the max limit Would be given the following criteria:

• An average of 250 requests per second are sent to a server
  • A request lasts on average 2 seconds
  • For each requests, the resources held will remain an additional 120 seconds after the request is complete

Given the above, I'm looking to see how high the max limit would be for resources retained for each request over a period of time measures in seconds

So I know at the rate above, my formula would start to look like this:

250 * (2 + 120) * x

x = seconds

:), that's where I'm stuck, what comes next? I need to account for the part of the formula that would show how the total number of resources would begin to increase and or decrease after the total life of a resource expires (122 seconds). I hope this makes sense, any help is appreciated!

I have a real world problem I am trying to solve and it's been some time since I've used more than the basic math. I'm looking to find out what the max limit Would be given the following criteria:

• For each requests, the resources held will remain an additional 120 seconds after the request is complete

Given the above, I'm looking to see how high the max limit would be for resources retained for each request over a period of time measures in seconds

250 * (2 + 120) * x

x = seconds

:), that's where I'm stuck, what comes next? I need to account for the part of the formula that would show how the total number of resources would begin to increase and or decrease after the total life of a resource expires (122 seconds). I hope this makes sense, any help is appreciated!
According to your assumptions what does that equal to?

250 * (2 + 120) * x

x = seconds

The units on 2 and 120 are seconds so if x is also measured in seconds, the result of your formula is going to be squared seconds. Does that make sense?

In any case, if you are looking for what the maximum number of seconds that may be involved, you cannot use the average number of requests or the average duration. The moment you go over the average, your maximum will be exceeded.