Conversion of discrete problem to continuous problem

BeeCuz

I've attempted a post in statistics/probability, but the people there don't seem to comprehend calculus and thus aren't able to formulate a solution. So this is a re-post, sleightly altered to fit the topic category.

I want to take a problem with discrete steps in it and refine those steps to a continuous set of points.

The set of discrete points is the outcomes of rolling 2d6, [2..12]. For any range in the set I can determine the probability of the result being within that range of outcomes. The reverse is also true: Given a probability I can determine the range of outcomes spanned.

But two dice is a very rough approximation of a bell curve; as the number of dice approaches infinity, the distribution of outcomes approaches the shape of a bell curve.

I'd like to express this transition from 2d6 to infinite-d6

Last edited:
I've attempted a post in statistics/probability, but the people there don't seem to comprehend calculus...
Actually, they understand calculus just fine. This is why they've tried to explain to you that calculus does not involve only discrete amounts (such as those with which you appear to be working).

...and thus aren't able to formulate a solution.
Actually, they've done the best they can. But you don't seem to understand the basic terms, and insist that people who have been doing this for decades don't know the topic as well as do you. And then you expect (these apparent dullards) to be able to "formulate a solution" for you. :shock:

I want to take a problem with discrete steps in it and refine those steps to a continuous set of points.
What do you mean, precisely, by "steps", "refining", and "continuous" "set of points"?

The set of discrete points is the outcomes of rolling 2d6, [2..12].
From the other thread, I believe the string "2d6,[2..12]" means "two six-sided fair dice, each numbered from 1 to 6, with roll sums ranging from 1+1=2 to 6+6=12".

For any range in the set I can determine the probability of the result being within that range of outcomes. The reverse is also true: Given a probability I can determine the range of outcomes spanned.

But two dice is a very rough approximation of a bell curve; as the number of dice approaches infinity, the distribution of outcomes approaches the shape of a bell curve.

I'd like to express this transition from 2d6 to infinite-d6
Please clarify what you mean by a "transition from 2d6 to infinite-d6". When you reply, please include a clear listing of your thoughts and efforts so far. Thank you! ;)